Thursday, July 31, 2008

Purl and Chain

Mom is going to wear me out! I've been busier since I arrived here than I've been the whole summer! We had a lovely day yesterday. We slept in until 6:10! That's late for both of us! We went to the dining room to get our morning coffee, then went to the courtyard to enjoy our coffee, the fresh air, and the morning breeze. Back in the apartment, we had bagels and fresh blueberries for breakfast... mmmmm! After breakfast we did a little shopping. I love tassels, and there's a place close by that has a wonderful selection of tassels at a reasonable price. Guess what? We bought some stuff! I'm sure those of you who have been reading my blog for a while are totally surprised by that! ; ) Then we went to Shoe Station for a pair of walking shoes for me. I didn't bring mine along (I needed room for precious cargo!), and Mom and I started this morning with a half hour walk on the treadmill. We had the exercise room all to ourselves... I wonder what everyone else was doing at 5:30 this morning? For the last 2 minutes of our walk, we sang... O, a capital ship for an ocean trip was the walloping Window Blind! My sisters Janet and Lisa would understand!

In the afternoon, Mom and I went to her Purl and Chain meeting... a group of ladies who knit and crochet items for fund raisers, hospitals and other health care facilities, and sometimes for themselves. Mom and I chose to take tatting yesterday. Mom decided to try Mary Konior's "Leaf Braid" from Tatting with Visual Patterns.




One of the gifts I gave Mom was a tatting bag. Mine's the one on the left. Of course, Mom's is the one on the right.


Before we left for the meeting, I managed to finish the first silk cross for Monnie's liturgical stole. I'm going to try and finish the three silk crosses by the weekend, then I'll move on to the cotton crosses for Julian's stole.


Bobbie is working on a beautiful ripple afghan in blue and orange. Of course I saw University of Illinois colors, but I was corrected... they're Auburn colors! Live and learn!


Marie is working on a ripple baby blanket. The yarn looks so soft!


Kay is in charge of marketing at Westminster Village, and she brought two boxes of yarn that had been donated for the ladies' use. She'll be organizing an auction for all the items these talented ladies make.


Mom finished this beautiful white afghan the night before the meeting. The pattern is called "Bear Claw" and I think it's beautiful!



We were invited to eat dinner in the dining room with some of the ladies who were not able to attend the meeting, and we had a wonderful time! We watched a movie after dinner, and then we were off to bed! I slept like someone hit me over the head with a brick! I can't wait to see what today brings!

6 comments:

  1. All Mom's must do this! LOL The wearing you out when you visit thing, that is :) Eating breakfast in the courtyard sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mum looks a total sweetie. Can I adopt her? I never had a good relationship with mine and SO envy yours with your mum.
    JaneEb

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you got to visit with your mom. The ladies at the meeting look very nice. The afghan your mom made looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your time is fully occupied with things both of you love to do. Too bad my mum's eye sight has gone real bad and she has not done any needlecraft for ages (plus she's having arthritis in her hands) but we do spend time together, especially shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that afghan too. Boy are you having a good time! I'm glad you're having this time together. My own mom passed on too early from cancer and she was the best. 20 years later and I still miss her.
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your having a good time with your mother. It does seem as if you two are very busy. Enjoy, have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!