Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cornelia!


I finished "Cornelia" from Tatted Doilies by Iris Niebach last night. I stayed up past my bedtime to block it, and I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. I found two twisted rings, and when I took it outside to photograph it I realized that I didn't block very carefully. I was so eager to blog about it, I didn't take the time to block it properly, but as my mom would say... a blind man on a galloping horse will never know the difference! I'm sure my tatting friends will forgive my slightly messy display! It's so much fun to finish something and then show it off!

The doily measures about 11" across. It's tatted in size 20 hand-dyed thread from Sherry Pence aka LadyShuttleMaker. The rings are in Citrus Limon and the chains are in Guacamole. I have to send extra special thanks to Sherry for dyeing another batch of Citrus Limon for me. I needed enough for just under 2 pattern repeats. So, if you're thinking of using HDT for this one, you'll need to make sure you have three 50 yard skeins, one for the chains and two for the rings.

I've already started my next Iris Niebach doily... "Eleonora" in size 20 Apple Blossom from Pamela Myers. I'm really enjoying the challenge of Iris's designs, and I'm learning a lot about tatting!

School's off to a great start! I can tell I'm getting older... I really need a beginning of the year checklist... I'm finding something each day that I forgot to set up! Luckily, I'm pretty good at adjusting my lesson plans on the fly... it must be that I've been doing this for so long. I can't believe that this is my 24th year of teaching, 23 of which have been in the library/computer program!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your choice of the variegated and solid matches very well. Will you be framing this too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the combination of the two colors come together. Can I have the exact measurement - I have purchased several silk colorways from Sherry and I need to make sure three (120 yds) is enough for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful. It's very well done. Thanks for posting thread quantities. I finally got this book and am looking forward to making some of Iris's doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad this worked out. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so impressive, the colours work really well to compliment the design!
    I wonder where you find the time now your back at school, there must be hours of work in the one doiley?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jon! My daughter Alison has asked for this one, and she's not sure if she'll frame it or not. I'll be sure to post a picture of Cornelia in her new home!

    Zarina, I'm pretty sure three skeins will be enough, especially if you're using the same color for rings and chains. I really didn't use much thread from the third skein, and I had about 2/3 of a shuttle left of my chain thread. I used size 20, and the finished doily is just over 11".

    Jeff, I can't wait to see which one you tat first! I can't get enough of these doilies!

    Sherry... thank you, thank you, thank you! Your constant encouragement has helped me achieve tatting that I only dreamed about! Plus, you and Marilee are the ones who have really spoiled me with your HDT!

    Snowy, there are many hours in this doily! Luckily, Dave bought me an Ott Lite last spring, and now I can tat for a couple of hours each evening! I tat, knit, crochet, and sew for relaxation, so I make at least an hour a day for me! My house isn't the cleanest, but I figure I'd rather leave my fiber arts and tools to my children and grandchildren than a clean house. Besides, I've grown kind of fond of my dust bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job...and I didn't find your twisted rings.

    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cornelia is gorgeous. I would never have thought of combining the two threads, but it works wonderfully. You are so far ahead of me with Iris' doilies I will never catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Mom, for Cornelia! Right now she is perched on my green silk pillow. I need to find the proper materials (frame, background, etc.) to frame her! When school starts...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. I really like the way it turned out. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty colour combination and pleasing to the eyes. I'm a bit particular about blocking doilies and bigger symmetrical items, I'll mark the angles and distances out on paper and use that as a template to block the doilies. Do everyone do that ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just have to respond to Singtatter. No, I don't do that. Maybe if I did, mine would look better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new doily is awesome. Very pretty. I am going to do some of Iris's doilies too eventually here. Her patterns are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cornelia turned out so nice. Your colors are so much brighter and I love the way the green and yellow combo. Great Job!
    I am waiting to see the Eleonora too.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!