Saturday, August 30, 2008

Design 2


I just finished Design 2 from Tatting: 60 Original Lace Treasures by Christel Weidmann. When I looked at the scan, I realized that I pulled too tightly when hiding my ends for the first round. If you look at the ring at the bottom, you can see that there is no 1/4" space between the small and large rings. This is something I'll remember to watch for in the future!

I love working with HDT, but I have quite a stash of thread that needs to be used. So, I've decided to use the threads I have on hand as my "practice" pieces. Then, if there's a pattern I really like, I'll make it in HDT. This idea of mine might change... I get really bored making more than one of something. Design 2 is tatted in Opera size 20, color # 506. The thread is very soft... kind of a strange feeling after the firmness of the HDT! I don't know if it's hard to retro-tat, because, believe it or not, I didn't have to undo any rings or chains in this one!

One thing I'll do differently if I tat this motif again will be to increase the number of rings. Design 1 calls for 17 rings, while Design 2 requires 15. I had to do a lot of steaming to get this to lie flat. I had no trouble at all with Design 1. The two motifs are about the same diameter. The center opening is smaller on Design 2. I'm getting used to using my picot gauges... they really help when I'm measuring the space between the large and small rings!

3 comments:

  1. This is really lacy looking. I have this book but got it long after I started tatting and I'm not sure I've actually tatted anything from it yet, for all the times I've looked at it! One thing I've noticed about motifs like this, with the space between rings...a lot depends on the thread. A different size of thread will require a different size space to lay properly. Exactly how to determine that still escapes me but I'm sure if I took the time to experiment, I would figure it out.

    As much as I love color, white and ecru and black are still very elegant and a welcome change of pace from the riot of color sometimes. We need both.

    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is so elegant looking! Beautious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely pattern and you've done a nice job. I have this book, too and I don't think I've tatted anything from it either!
    I have trouble when doing this kind of tatting with the thread in between the rings. I don't like using devices to measure while tatting as it's too cumbersome and time consuming for me. I eyeball picots pretty good, maybe someday I'll figure out a way to eyeball the thread in between the rings better! LOL!
    Thanks for sharing. I love white and ecru thread, too. I love traditional tatting patterns and threads.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!