Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oops!


I've been working on "Spinning Wheel Glass Mat" from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior for about three weeks. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that I tatted nearly the whole piece incorrectly! Of course, I didn't discover my mistake until the end. On each 3-ring row, the rings are NOT supposed to be joined to each other. I only did it correctly the first time! The rings on the top right are correct. If you click on the image to enlarge it, you'll see what I mean.

I almost didn't finish this pretty little piece because I was so upset with myself... this is really a very simple pattern to follow! I won't give it as a Christmas present as I originally intended. Instead, I'll use it in one of my shuttle drawers as a backdrop for some of my beautiful shuttles! The finished piece is about 5 1/2" across. The thread is size 20 Lizbeth from Handy Hands, color #122. I need three of these little doilies for Christmas presents... I hope the next one doesn't take me three weeks!

11 comments:

  1. Honestly Diane it's looks really lovely. I cannot notice that it's not tatted according to the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane, I did this a couple of weeks ago and posted it on my blog, http://ladytats.blogspot.com/2008/09/14-glass-matt.html
    I too had trouble with wanting to attach the 3 rings together. it is hard to attach some and not others. I do not see a problem with your glass matt the way it is. If all the repeats are done the same I do not see a problem with joining the rings or not joining them.
    congrats on the pretty babies in minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look at it twice to see what in the world you were talking about! It's really not obvious, and it's very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right ladies... it's really not that obvious. I just am a little peeved with myself. This was the first pattern I completed in one of Sherry's HDTs a little over a year ago, and it turned out beautifully. Sometimes I get a little over-confident and think I can complete a pattern/recipe without paying attention because I had such good results the first time. At least I've been sticking with tatting... my cooking still leaves much to be desired!

    Ladytats, I like the way the pattern looks in two colors... I think I may have to do a little experimenting... while following the pattern, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this doily in dark blue previously too, just love Mary Konior's pattern. Take heart, most would not be able to spot mistakes if it is not pointed out to them. Must be too excited over Ella, pretty baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey, it looks fabulous! This is one I've been wanting to do for a long time..love the thread too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's beautiful! Since I haven't learned to tat, I can't even see the mistake after you pointed it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the doily looks good the way it is. I agree with everyone else that most people won't notice. I too like the colour that you used. Is it just me or does Lisbeth seem awfully similar to Flora. I guess I'm gonna have to buy some soon and find out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff, Lizbeth does kind of remind me of Flora. I really like the colors available. My one problem with Lizbeth is the amount of twist... but I'm getting over that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously, it looks fine! Actually, it doesn't look "fine" it looks beautiful! I never in a million years would've noticed that mistake had you not pointed it out! I'm glad you finished it. It doesn't distort the design of the mat, or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly what you mean about making mistakes in this pattern, I have just published mine
    http://tatsakoolchallenge.blogspot.com/ and I made s much bigger blunder that you did and it does distort the pattern, Oh well can't get everything right!!
    I did find it a bit tedious and did have to concentrate.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!