Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baby shower gift


I love baby showers! Our new kindergarten teacher is expecting her first baby Nov. 20, but she thinks she might have him this week... full moon, you know! Any way, we're having a shower for her after school tomorrow. I love giving flannel receiving blankets and a book. This is one of my all-time favorite books, Philadelphia Chickens by Sandra Boynton. My daughters and I used to put the CD in the player and crank it up while we were cleaning. Yes, I have my very own copy!

My way of edging flannel blankets...

I buy one yard of fabric, cut off the selvages, and round the edges (I use a dinner plate as a template). I put a wing needle in my sewing machine, set the stitch length for a basting stitch, then go around the edge of the fabric without thread in the machine to create holes. I use size 20 crochet cotton and a size 8 or 9 hook. I single crochet in each hole and chain one between holes. Sometimes, as in this blanket, I choose an edging pattern and go around the blanket again. My granddaughter Eva still has the ones I made for her 6 1/2 years ago. They get softer with age!

6 comments:

  1. Is the blanket one sided? I too love giving flannel receiving blankets. They are easy to use. I usually make the double sided so if the one side gets dirty you can just flip it over. I think I may start adding the crochet edging as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is one-sided. I've never thought of doing a double-sided one... maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philadelphia Chickens is one of my favorites as well! I play it on my computer at work when I've got lots to do.
    Making edging holes with the sewing machine is something I've never thought of. I usually sew down a tiny hem then work over the top of it poking holes with my little hook. Doesn't work really well. I'm going to try your method -- with a nice big needle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Sandra Boynton but have never heard of that one.
    Your gifts are lovely.

    My daughter got a goodie pack while in hospital and one of the things in it was a board book. The Irish Government have decided that every child born in Ireland should have at least one book. Isn't that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how funny. Isaac and I have this book too! Small world. The blanket sounds wonderful. What nice gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great book and Flannel blankets are a great and practical presents too. I love baby showers too! I especially enjoy playing the baby shower games.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!