Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wedding hanky for Joanne


My youngest daughter, Joanne, is getting married August 1. I've had a hanky sitting next to my tatting chair since Easter, and I've been trying to decide which edging pattern to use. I really had planned on using one of Mary Konior's patterns, but every time I tried to make a sample of one, I'd become over-confident and make a mistake that could not be ignored. Yesterday I tried test-tatting three different edgings, and on each one I made a mess of the second pattern repeat. I guess my brain is on vacation with the rest of me!

This morning I opened up A Tatter's Workbook by A. Tatter, edited by Jules & Kathe Kliot. The second pattern in the book really appealed to me, and I found I was able to follow the pattern with ease. I guess you can tell by the look of it that it's really not a complicated pattern! It was just what my poor brain needed!

I hope I can start tatting a little faster... this took me 2 1/2 hours! Of course, I was a little distracted. I was watching The Guns of Navarone while I tatted. Gregory Peck made such a handsome leading man, and I love his voice!

P.S. - The tatting shuttle and picot hook are from Grizzly Mountain Arts. The picot gauges are from Lacemaker U.S.A. I'm tatting the edging with Cebelia size 30.

12 comments:

  1. I think that edging is very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the simplest patterns can be the most elegant. I think this one is gorgeous, and really perfect for a hanky.

    Your tools are beautiful, too. May I ask what kind of shuttle that is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book and I'm itching to try some of the patterns out of it. I want to make a hanky too. I'll have to try that one that you're doing. I have to get my flag finished first before I can do anything else. How exciting, a wedding! Will she be carrying this with her down the aisle too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, simple and elegant. I must say that I just adore your shuttle and hook, pure elegance :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your daughter's upcoming marriage - you must have a lot going on! I think the edging you have chosen is PERFECT! It's going to be a beautiful handkerchief.

    I saw Roman Holiday not long ago. I would have SO given up the throne for Gregory Peck!

    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pattern, I'm sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all - great photo! Very appealing tatting implements, nicely arranged.

    Next - a very sweet edging. I'm sure you'll have no problems finishing it!

    And - not that you'll actually have time to watch TV this month (wow - Mother of the Bride!), but
    TCM is showing Gregory Peck movies every Monday night in July. Fair warning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. For edging simple patterns work really well. You aren't as likely to make a mistake and they show well. Sometimes when they are too complicated the entire effect gets lost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tatting and tools are beautiful. Your choice of edging is going to make a stunning hanky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks GORGEOUS!! The pattern is perfect- it will be a wonderful heirloom for her to pass down through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to your daughter on her upcoming wedding! Nice edging on the hanky so far. I ended up quitting my Primrose Path because I kept screwing up, so our brains can be on vacation together. I want those gauges. I shop the Lacemaker all the time and never noticed them before. Time to shop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh Diane, this is stunning! It's going to be the most beautiful wedding hankie! Gregory Peck is my favorite actor...ever! xo Paulette

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!