Sunday, August 28, 2011

For Doug

Our friend Doug's father passed away a few weeks ago, and I've been trying to tat a cross bookmark for him. I think I have started and given up on seven crosses in the past three weeks, but I finally finished one! Even this one was started three times. I guess I'm a little distracted with the beginning of school. I was very relaxed as I worked on each cross... so relaxed that I left out important picots, or joined in too many places!


I just kind of finger-pressed it in place. I can see that I'll probably need a little Best Press so that the bottom arm doesn't bulge just below the center motif. I really do like using Best Press!


The picture already says it all, but I think I'll be a bit redundant today. The pattern is from the Motif section of Cathy Bryant's Tatting. I used size 40 Lizbeth, color #117. I used one of my wonderful shuttles from Dave at Grizzly Mountain Arts.

Do you see the corner of a magazine at the top left of the picture? It's the Autumn 2011 issue of Crazy Quilt Gatherings from Pat Winter. I love ordering this magazine! Pat gives a heads up when the new issue is available, and your copy of each issue is printed and mailed after you pay for it. It's also available as a PDF if you're not interested in a hard copy. No subscriptions are necessary. You just order the issues you're interested in. Of course, I've ordered all three so far. : )

This issue was especially interesting to me, because my friend Lelia from Stitches of Life II wrote an article on Kanzashi flowers! Maybe I'll do some retail therapy this afternoon so that I can try making some of these adorable fabric flowers!

11 comments:

  1. That is a pretty cross bookmark - and a lovely gift. I think I would like that book! I'm glad you like the Best Press - it's just enough starch to help keep the shape but not make tatting stiff.

    I'm really interested in that magazine - I like the pdfs with my Nook, and just ordering the issues I want. Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that shuttle :) I wonder, would I love it like I've come to be attached to my clovers?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a beautiful and thoughtful gift

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tatted cross bookmark for your friend, Doug. He will surely remember your thoughts as he places the treasured bookmark between the pages of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded the Crazy Quilt PDF. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very pretty bookmark and I am sure he will love it, I love the colour, funny when you want something to be just right mistakes keeping happening I wonder why.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. your cross is beautiful. If you are going to mail it - the post office will do the pressing for you.

    Thx for the mention. While I visited Lockport, IL on Sunday (for the quilt display) ... I picked up some fabric for flowers.

    The next one I make is going to have the same shape, different sized petals. I think you'll like the flowers - they are quick to make and with a safety pin, can be added to anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your tatting very nice and beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cross is lovely and will surely bring some comfort to your friend Doug because you handmade it for him. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! What a loving caring gift to make! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!