Saturday, July 28, 2012

Olympic tatting

Last night I sat and tatted as I watched the opening ceremonies for the Olympic games. I think I've only ever watched the opening ceremonies once before, and the only reason I watched last night was the hope of catching a glimpse of Jane's daughter... very silly, really... until I saw Jane's post this morning, I had no idea what her daughter looked like or her name!

I went to bed with three rings left to tat and this morning my troubles began...


I finished the three rings, looked at the tatting, and realized I'd missed a join. I carefully untatted five rings and one length of chain, and then I retatted.

I looked at my finished piece, and realized I'd joined in the wrong place. I carefully untatted five rings and one length of chain, and then I retatted.


I looked at my finished piece, and realized that once again I'd joined in the wrong place. I examined my tatting carefully to make sure I knew what needed to be done and realized that I had tatted it correctly before untatting the first time! This time I did not carefully untat... I pulled out the scissors and snipped... with a vengeance!


I retatted one last time, and then I blocked my new doily. Despite the fact that I could have been finished by 8 a.m. instead of 3:30 p.m., I'm very happy with the finished product! 


"Flowerpiece" from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior is in size 40 Lizbeth, color #155, Ocean Sunset.. It's 7 1/2" in diameter.


Oh, and the Olympic tatting title for this post... I had the Olympics on all day as I worked on this doily. I watched cycling, swimming, women's volleyball, and beach volleyball. That's more Olympics than I've watched in my entire life!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your perseverance ... the doily looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely done that more than once in my life, picking out something that I had done right in the first place.

    That doily looks totally different in bright colors. Looking at it in the book, it never grabbed me, but yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me chuckle. Your doily turned out fabulous in spite of your troubles. ...and I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your doily is absolutely gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still giggling after reading your comments on this gorgeous doily...you made a bad situation into hilarity for me, so you made my day...I applaud your for your patience
    BRAVO my friend...you won Gold on this one
    Hugs
    Joy in OZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doily-gorgeous! Tribulations?-been there too, sadly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening ceremonies were very distracting. The doily is very lovely. I know all about the redo and redo. We've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a laugh, you must have been so absorbed in our Olympics, I hope you enjoyed the opening show and the games, the weather may not behave itself but that is the British weather for you, we have to put up with it.
    It's a lovely doily I think every tatter can say we have done the unpicking only to find it was right and did it again, at least you did finish it.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, oh, oh, how many times have I done this too and in the end resorted to the scissors? Well done with persevering and not throwing it out the window!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worth persevering, it looks lovely! Yeah, I've done that too, undone something and then found it was right all along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The doily is brilliant!

    Luv Jane XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. That did turn out lovely indeed!

    Well done for perseverance (and a funny way to tell it!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olympic tatting, indeed! I was exhausted after the first retro-tatting of the five rings (an ironic number) and I was thinking that you have more patience than I do! I was then expecting a 'happy ending'; but the story got 'worse', especially with the realization of no mistake after all! I give you a medal for incredible perseverance and getting to the FINISH line! You have a lovely doily for your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My you are dedicated! Your doily is a carnival of beauty. Blissful Tatting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful tatting - wonderful color! I'm not much for sports, either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Great telling of the troubles with your doily. Glad you stuck with it, the doily looks great. (still giggling!)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!