Sunday, August 11, 2013

Snip. Snip. Knit

Maybe I was distracted by thoughts of Stitches Midwest. Maybe I was too involved in watching Wild at Heart. Whatever was going on, my tatting suffered.


A missed join... snip...


a ring with too many sections... snip...


so I picked up my scarf and knit! It's coming along. I'm not quite half way through, but I have a few months until I really need a scarf.

Yesterday I went to Stitches Midwest with Mom, Alison, and Eva. We had a great time! Alison showed tremendous self-control and only collected business cards.

Great-grandma Green bought Eva a beautiful silk chiffon scarf, and I bought her first circular needles, Addi Turbo size 7 (my favorite knitting needles). Eva made a quick cowl with a Read Heart yarn that I hadn't heard of. Alison bought her a skein of the yarn in purple, which Eva plans to use to make cowls for her friends... no knitting involved... cut off a section of yarn, roll up like you would a pair of nylons, stretch the ring to the size you like. Eva loved it!

Mom and I exhibited great self-control as well. Mom bought two books, several balls of yarn on sale, and a kit or two. Mom bought me a couple of kits,



one for a cowl


and one for some fingerless mitts.



I purchased a beautiful cake of hand-painted yarn, which I probably would have passed up if I had asked the price first. Of course, I had to have the perfect pattern to go with the yarn!



I also found a gorgeous square shawl pattern. The sample was done in silk, which I passed up. I love the feel of silk, but I don't like the smell of it...


and I had found this gorgeous lace weight yarn at the very first booth we visited. Shhh! Don't tell the guy in the kilt who sold me the pattern!


We spent some time talking with a man who invented a machine to wrap "ugly" yarns with pretty yarns. It was fascinating to watch the machine at work, and yes, he was selling the machine. I was able to pass it up, because I don't have the room for such a machine... or the interest! Mom and I searched through his stash to find wrapped yarns that appealed to us, and Mom was even able to purchase a partial cone of a beautiful blue yarn (yes, she beat me to the punch), which she plans to use for weaving.

I was thrilled to learn that there is now an iPad/iPhone app for The Knitters Handbook, one of my favorite reference books. The app is only $1.99, and now I have video at my fingertips. Yes, I know there are plenty of YouTube videos, but I've spent $1.99 much more frivolously.

My mind is still reeling with visions of beautiful lace and luscious yarns! It was a great way to spend the day, and I'm so glad that the focus this year was lace!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, those yarns look wonderful. Sounds just my sort of outing, with like minded enthusiasts. You have plenty of work ahead of you, lots to plan and think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those yarns look beautiful, I would have been tempted too much,
    I am please you have "wild at heart". It was one of our favorite program's I don't know how far you are along with the series but its finished in the UK. Please enjoy.
    You might be interested to know that Downton Abby is coming back for a fourth series. I don't know how far you are with that series.
    Nice to know some of our programmes do travel across the pond.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well That's the problem with family and shopping they sometimes beat you to the good stuff. ha ha but it's best to keep it in the family:) I know what you meat about silk it has incredible qualities but I too have found drawbacks. I got into Downtown Abby love it and we get the show after you all in UK see it. After first of the year. Margart is a show off lucky you, we have to wait! :(



    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness you have me drooling over the yarn! You have more self control that I have as I have recently purchased way too much yarn and patterns! I also started a new blog instead of tattabuggslace I am now knitzlace :) Please come and visit my blog. http://knitzlace.blogspot.com/
    I have not given up tatting just doing more knitting so decided to give a fresh new name and look. Just needed a change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know that I knit that Sample Layla in silk?!!!! I am one of her test knitters!!!!
    It's a gorgeous pattern.
    Your tatting is so wonderful, you'll have no problem getting back to it....knitting is a good thing and your scarf looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I've been wanting to go to Stitches forever.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!