Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Winner! Winner!

No, not chicken dinner... a beautiful tatting shuttle!


When I learned there were going to be silver shuttles up for auction on eBay, I checked them all out! I think I bid on six or seven of them, but this was the one I really wanted! My great-grandmother was Eva Kresge Morris, and she would have been her late 30s or early 40s when this shuttle was engraved (her daughter, my Grandma Green, was 17 in 1916).


It's fun to think that this shuttle could have belonged to my great-grandmother, but I don't believe she was a tatter.


Eliz commented that as I finished a Spinning Wheel, she found herself wondering what the next color would be. That comment made me chuckle! This is size 20 Manuela that I've had for several years. I like the way it's working so far!


Michelle asked for a close-up to show the beads.


They're pretty subtle. It's hard to catch the shimmer with a camera, but there's just enough sparkle to make the bag extra special! I still haven't started the drawstring. Thank goodness the weekend is coming!

12 comments:

  1. Neat memories with a new shuttle!! :)
    Love the new spinning wheel already!! :)
    That bag is so special!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! That could well be your heirloom.
    Love your colourway & great job with the crochet & beads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love antiques and it's wonderful wondering what could have been tatted with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love antiques and it's wonderful wondering what could have been tatted with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing find! So glad you acquired this special shuttle! The importance of the shuttle to the tatter is evident in the wonderful engravings, and it's 100 years old! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S.: Astounding coincidence, too, of the initials being similar to your great grandmother's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat looking shuttle and great story too. Perhaps it was hers and she gave it away because she didn't tat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your silver shuttle with its serendipitous initials!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun, that shuttle is great! And your beaded bag-wow! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shuttle is a beauty! How neat that it's engraved with your Grandmother's initials! Love the crocheted bag and how the beads add a nice shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This silver shuttle is definitely meant to be in your collection. I am in love with the pearls on white crochet for the bride's bag. Subtle yet elegant...so feminine and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shuttles, you had to have that one,
    Beautiful bag,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!