Thursday, March 23, 2017

A chill wind

The wind was blowing from the east today, making the house very chilly... perfect weather for sitting under a blanket and tatting!


I finished round 6 of Renulek's Wiosna 2017. I'm ready for round 7!


I also took time to play with stitch counts for my thinner coin beads. Going back to size 20 Lizbeth, I changed the ring and chain count for the second round only. The chains are 7 ds, which is a little snug. I think I'll try alternating chain counts of 7 and 8. That should give a little extra space without making it too loose. I changed the ring count to 5-6-5. This does seem to be a better fit for these thinner coin beads. However, too much of the pretty bead is still hidden.

I also played with my idea of using a mock ring to show off the entire bead. That did not work well at all! The bead is just too large for it to work well. Still, I'm sure there must be a way to show off these pretty beads while surrounding them with tatting. I think I just don't have enough experience in designing to come up with a plan. Maybe I need to give in and try something with split rings, as Jane has suggested!
SaveSave

11 comments:

  1. Just beautiful you tatting it's wonderful 🌹💟🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try 3ds rings, and make the joining picots a tad longer ?
    Or 4-2-4 rings.
    These are simple tweaks.
    Your doily is looking very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of increasing the number of rings and making them smaller. Wouldn't the 4-2-4 make the center opening smaller? I guess I'll have to play some more!

      Delete
  3. Not sure if this idea may give you inspiration! http://janeeborall.freeservers.com/Bookwormweb.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I've just printed it out. I had forgotten about this pattern, probably because you state that it's not for the faint hearted! ;-)

      Delete
  4. The icedrops are leading you in all sorts of directions. Why not split rings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You came up with this wonderful idea so don't say you don't have enough experience, You have designed so wonderful patterns, if you make the rings too small it could slide out, I will give it some thought to help you, I will let you know what I come up with.
    The mat is looking lovely and gorgeous ice drop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Margaret! I guess what I should have said is that since I have followed other's patterns for so long, my brain hasn't gotten the proper exercise to think of solutions easily!

      Delete
  6. Your doily looks so elegant!!! :)
    Great Ice Drop!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always enamored with your tatting skills, shuttles, threads and ability to get so much done each day. YOU are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!