Monday, July 10, 2017

Focus!

That's what I need to do... focus! We had thunderstorms this morning, so I got distracted from my regular routine.

I talked to daughter Joanne and my friend Denise, made breakfast, and then headed out after the rain stopped. The first stop was the post office, and then I felt the urge to go to Hobby Lobby. I didn't need to go to Hobby Lobby, but I was already out and about so I figured I might as well make the trip!

I'm sure you know how it goes. I didn't need a thing, but I found plenty to buy! I met daughter Carol for lunch and then headed home.


Can you tell what I've started? I'm sure Jane Eborall and my mom could tell you.

Several months ago, Jane finished a Mochila bag, which you can see here. I read her progress with interest, but I didn't think I was really interested in crocheting with yarn.

Then I saw a post in one of my inkle weaving groups about a band that was woven for a Mochila bag. Mom and I talked about the woven band and then the bag. Mom started a bag last week, and I kept putting it off. If I hadn't seen these yarn colors at Hobby Lobby, I probably would never have started.

I can tell this is going to take me a long time. I restarted at least five times, and I've had to take out one row twice, and I've only done three rounds! I hope I catch on to this soon.


Some new shuttles and thread arrived from Japan today. These are Daiso tatting shuttles. I could have ordered just the shuttles, but I wanted to see what the Japanese thread is like.


Three shuttles came in the pack. I like pick tips, so these are great little shuttles for me.


The back end is more rounded than Clover shuttles, but the tips are nice and tight.


The thread is softer than what I'm used to using. The label says it's #20, but I'm guessing it's closer to our #10. I think I'll take it with me to Tollway Tatters for everyone to see.

That reminds me! Tollway Tatters will be meeting this Saturday, July 15 at the Hinsdale Oasis on 294. We meet at 10 a.m. near Starbucks. You'll be able to identify us easily. We wear tie-dye t-shirts and we bring lots of tatting supplies. If you're in the Chicago area, we would love to have you join us!

7 comments:

  1. Those Mochila bags aren't easy at first but it does get a little bit easier as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Daiso first opened here in Australia, they used to sell size 40 thread which is much nicer than the 20. Sometimes they still have 40 in black and white, but all the lovely colours seem to have gone. As you say, their 20 is almost a 10. Good luck with the bag, it will be lovely with one of your woven bands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 'mean' to make one of those bags too, but I keep getting distracted. A woven handle would be just the thing for it. The shuttles are an interesting shape. Sounds as though they're good to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the start of a wonderful bag, and thanks for the view and trial of the thread I have looked and wondered about these shuttles and it nice to see up close too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see your bag with one of your fabulous woven bands!!! :)
    Nice shuttles and thread!
    Planning on seeing you Saturday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great crocheted bag and a woven band will be great. Interesting "Lace Yarn" from Japan. I always love your tatting! Happy Summer Pasttimes...<3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've often seen those Dasio shuttles and thought that they would work great for me. Do they hold as much thread as a post Clover?

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!