Saturday, June 16, 2018

Forget Raiders of the Lost Ark

How about Raiders of the Hidden Ice Drops?


Joanne and Sophia went through my Ice Drop stash, choosing the ones they just had to have!


See Joanne concentrating on the stash, while Sophia shows off some of her selections?


Sophia chose more than three, but these are the ones she smiled about!


Kara got in to the excitement as well.


All together, the girls chose 80 Ice Drops to take home. I guess it's time to tat some more!


Karen Parent started a Summer Snowflake page on Facebook. The challenge is to tat snowflakes in bright summer colors. While Joanne and I were reorganizing the other day, I found my copy of Teeny Tatted Snowflakes by Samantha Melnychuk. I'm not sure if I've ever actually tatted any of these designs before. I figured they'd be great for adapting to Ice Drops, because each snowflake starts with six ring, just as my Ice Drop patterns do.


The first one turned out great! This one is "Fan." I've been asked why I go to the trouble of adding glass gems, since the snowflakes are pretty on their own. The answer is simple. First, I like the added dimension. Second, the little bit of weight makes them hang nicely. Besides, they're fun to make!


In other news, today is my 66th birthday! What better way to celebrate than with a new blue shuttle from Tatting by Design? Thank you for this gorgeous shuttle, Rita! I will be putting it to use today!

Today is also my blogiversary! I started blogging eleven years ago on my 55th birthday. If you've been a follower of my blog, you know that I was motivated to start blogging by Sherry Pence aka LadyShuttleMaker. Without her persistent, enthusiastic encouragement, I'd probably still be lurking in Tat-land. I tend to stay in my own little world, and through blogging I have made friends who appreciate what I do and keep me interested in all types of fiber arts. I mainly blog as a way of keeping track of my accomplishments. I'm amazed at how much I finish, and I attribute that to wanting to finish pieces to present on my blog.

I don't blog for recognition, but I do appreciate the encouragement I receive from my followers. Thank you all for your kind words!

24 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! And blogiversary. How wonderful that Joanne and the children can choose so many ice drops. Wow, I love Fan. Why not add ice drops, seems an excellent idea to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane! I do enjoy seeing if I can adapt patterns to turn them into Ice Drops!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Diane. When are you going to come to Shuttlebirds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti! I would love to join you at Shuttlebirds. I'm not sure if it will be next year, but I hope soon.

      Delete
  3. Looks like tons of treasure hunting fun!! And, it sure seems to me that they have a tons of treasure!!! :)
    Fabulous snowflake and snowflake Ice Drop!!! :) Looks great in Orange Crush!! :)
    Oh, I love your new shuttle!!!! :)
    Happy Birthday and happy blogiversary!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girls did have fun going through my Ice Drops! Joanne kept asking if she was taking too many. Are you kidding? I'm thrilled that she and Sophia love my Ice Drops! Thank you for the good wishes!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, I love reading your blog, please keep it up and keep tatting ice drops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, there are days when I don't feel like blogging. I keep doing it because writing about what I do keeps me motivated!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, and congratulations and thanks for your blogiversary too :) Blogging inspires you, and reading your blog inspires me! Absolutely NO-ONE I know in "real life" tats, if it weren't for your blog and a few others I wouldn't tat at all. Many happy returns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sylvie! The only close-by person I know who tats is my friend Denise. She only lives about three miles away, and we're both retired. Somehow, we're each so busy, we hardly ever get together. Thank goodness for online tatting friends!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday and blogiversary! Sweet girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, and congratulations on your 11th blogiversary! You are very generous to give away so many of your ice drops. I didn’t realize you had made so many of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Robin! I didn't realize I had so many, either!

      Delete
  8. So many congratulations to you birthday and blogaversary it's great and wonder if that snowflake book is still for sell somewhere do you happen to know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes forgot to mention sorry they found your stash that's a real bummer😂

      Delete
    2. Haha! I'm just happy that someone treasures my treasure! I don't remember seeing the snowflake book for sale anywhere. The copyright is 2004, and the book was self-published, so it may be on the hard to find list.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday and Blogaversary! Although I knew it was your birthday, I forgot it is also your blogaversary - and the 11th one!

    You are one of the early blogging pioneers! Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your almost daily posts, which is also an amazing accomplishment - not to mention all your incredible output of tatting and crafting! Many have dropped by the wayside. I myself have difficulty doing regular posting, but I very much look forward to reading blogs because they are so inspiring and have truly been responsible for this fabulous re-emergence of tatting around the world. It's quite exciting.

    And I love your ice drop idea - The gems very much enhance the look and feel of the snowflakes, and the backs are attractive, too. All of those mini snowflakes are definitely adaptable to adding the gems.

    So glad you're celebrating with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful day! I also love reading blogs. I just don't have enough time for all of the ones that interest me! Thank you for the good wishes!

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday, so glad you had a great day with the family.
    Looks like your ice drop stash had been depleted, time for you to make more.
    Your orange snowflake is beautiful and as an ice drop its just a beautiful, one thing with ice drops the middles shine in the sun and catch the light more than a snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I forgot to say congratulations on your blog anniversary, hope for many more years reading your beautiful blog

      Delete
    2. It was a wonderful day, Margaret! Yes, my Ice Drop stash is somewhat depleted, but I have plenty of glass gems and thread to make more!

      Delete
  11. Belated Happy Birthday to You! <3 Your girls are lovely. What fun to send Ice Drops Homme with them. Happy Blogiversary and I am very happy to find you and your blog and learn of your tatting and creative skills. Blessings Dear...xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Diane,
    Just want to send you 💐birthday wishes💐 although belated. Hope you had a wonderful day. Congrats on your blogiversary. Time sure flies when you are having fun. I must try making some ice drops. What a beautiful shuttle and in your favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!