Thursday, July 12, 2018

Failure

Daughter Carol arranged to come over today to work on her costume for Rock of Ages, which will be performed in August as a fund raiser for the drama club. If you've been following my blog, you may remember that daughter Carol is my one child who refuses to be "drawn to the dark side." Carol did take sewing in high school, but the never did garment construction, so she didn't have a clue about where to start.


Carol was going to arrive around 9:30, so I had a little time for tatting. I was very pleased with myself until I saw a mistake. If I hadn't already hidden my ends, I might have been able to retro-tat and fix my mistake (by the point of the scissors). Instead, I snipped and started over. That was the first failure of the day.

Carol and I got started right away. I had to teacher her how to lay out and cut out a pattern. We then went through the steps of pattern reading and got started with sewing. The pattern was a vintage jumpsuit pattern, size 8. All looked good.

We worked on the bodice until lunch time, when we took about an hour break. Carol was doing really well with the sewing, when I asked how to put the jumpsuit on. It was obvious when we looked at the pattern that it needed to be stepped into and pulled up. I suggested that Carol try on the bodice before we proceeded with the shorts part of it. Boy, did we get a laugh! There was no way Carol would ever be able to put it on. She couldn't even get it up to her knees. We looked at the measurements on the envelope and laughed again. We should have checked there first. Although Carol wears a size 8 when she goes shopping, the size 8 pattern was much smaller.

We gave up and went shopping on Amazon, where we found two jumpsuits that might work. They'll be here next week. Although the costume itself was a failure, I looked at the experience as a success. I spent a day with my daughter, and she learned some new skills.

When we finished shopping, we put dinner together. Dave arrived home just in time to enjoy the fruits of our labor! ;-)


I was able to complete my fourth motif for my Masquerade doily, but that was all. Still, it was a wonderful day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Carol will think she was right to avoid sewing! Glad you had a good laugh anyway. I love the masquerade in different colours, looks so different to the single colour version, shows the motif off better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I thought she'd feel, but she told me she wants to finish the costume in case someone else can wear it. She is a determined young lady.

      Delete
  2. The doily is growing prettier every day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doily will look gorgeous when finished in those colours,

    ReplyDelete
  4. vintage patterns can be so tricky! Once I bought one that was so old it didn't even have any prints on the pieces, just small perforations to indicate where to place the darts and various elements... only when I first looked at those I thought tat moths had attacked my pattern!!!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful day, and that's what matters, no need to care about those mistakes ;)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!