Sunday, July 15, 2018

Feelin' the heat

It's been hot and humid here the past few days. It's been a lot worse, but I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat. I know I'd never make it in the deep south!


Today I worked on Tamie Alliss's Beaded Bloom in size 20, with beads this time! It's okay, but with this pattern I think I really prefer the size 10 thread. I asked Tamie for some guidance, and she said she uses an 11 mm bead with size 20 thread. This is a 20 mm bead, so maybe that's why I'm not happy with the result.


There's one less ring on the beaded version. I really like this pattern, so I know I'll do more experimenting.


Raspberry Pink Lt was the perfect cool color to use on a hot day!


I added another Masquerade motif to my doily. By tatting one motif a day, this doily will be complete in a few weeks.


It's hard to believe that my needle lace class with Victoria Ong was a week ago. This is the best flower center I've made so far, and I could actually see where my needle needs to go for the next round!


My leaves are getting better. I just need to practice!

9 comments:

  1. I struggled in class placing those tiny beads and the large thread, I actually asked Richard to help me to get the beads on the thread. I was going to try my larger beads on the size ten too. I do like the size ten with this flower it's nice. I think that needle lace looks great I tried but think it's not for me. But dont mind watching this being made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Nina Libin's method of needling the thread. I dip the end of the thread in glue to stiffen it, and when it dries I'm able to just slide the beads on to the thread. It takes a little while, but it works for me!

      Delete
  2. I prefer the one without the little beads, I think with the variegated thread they’re too much. Love the colours in your masquerade! And I see the leaf! Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The variegated thread looks better with just the picots. The Masquerade is a thread pack from Handy Hands called Sweet Tarts (a sweet and tart candy that I used to love to eat in high school, many years ago). I'm enjoying the needle lace, but I'm eager to try the technique with finer thread or even silk. I think it will be much prettier!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful colour your beaded bloom is. You could create a beaded bloom tree for them to hang on just like you did for the ice drops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those beaded blooms are beautiful love the thread.
    Beautiful ice drop,
    Your doily is going to look amazing with those colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a lot of fun, Margaret! I love the colors in the doily.

      Delete
  5. Looks like lots of wonderful projects!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!