Sunday, August 12, 2018

Rock of Ages

This weekend was the alumni and directors' showcase to benefit the school drama club. Every two or three years, students who have graduated are invited to participate in a summer performance raise money for something specific. The group has been able to raise money for new lighting and mics. This year, their goal is to replace the stage curtains.

My role in all of this is to provide whatever support Madame Director needs. My duties this year were pretty simple: help with Carol's costume, provide dinner for Carol the two nights of the performance, and sell raffle tickets. I had the easy part!

Rock of Ages is a musical I had never heard of, so I was completely surprised by the performance. The cast was fantastic! I understand they cleaned up the language quite a bit... it was performed in a school.

Minor rant here... why do entertainers feel the need to litter movies, plays, music, and books with foul language and graphic scenes? I must lead a very sheltered life, because the people I know do not speak or act the way I see characters portrayed. A good story is a good story. Why muck it up? Rant over.

Because unexpected things happen on performance weekends, I try to keep crafting simple and at a minimum. I don't want to be frustrated my interruptions!


I chose to work on the spool pin doilies for Mom. They're quick and easy, and I don't have to worry about losing my place in the pattern!


I think these are going to be some fun table decorations!


Oh, and I finished my doily! Presenting "Masquerade" from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior, tatted in size 20 Lizbeth thread pack, Sweet Tarts. It didn't turn out the way I had envisioned it, but I like it!

17 comments:

  1. I’m sure you were PERFECT in the role of Madame Director Supporter :) Love how your Masquerade doily turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why writers and producers add in foul language, there is no need for it, a story is a story. My rant over
    The pin doilies look lovely I hope she likes them,
    Your masquerade doily is beautiful, even if it’s nit how you thought it would be it’s still a beautiful doily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally in sync with your rant :-D
    Lovely doilies - all very cheerful !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you threw in "oh, and I finished my doily...". I completely agree about the language muck. Your Carol is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I figured throwing in the bit about my doily might bring out a chuckle or two. :-)

      Delete
  5. I stopped going to movies in the 1970s and basically only watch the classic old movies on TV.
    I don't even know what music is being played today. I definitely live in the past. I actually am grateful they had the old Production Code and FCC rules. Everything is in free-fall now.

    As usual, you use your 'spare time' productively!
    The pin doilies are fun, and Masquerade is very colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your favorite old move? Mine is Gone With the Wind, although Casablanca is right up there!

      Delete
  6. Love the masquerade! Lovely colours and your arrangement of them shows the motif off well. I like the variegated spool pin doilies. Good you were there to give Carol support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been amazed with how much you pack into your days. I appreciate that all you have shown in this post took longer than a day, even so you have so much variety in your life not to mention the different crafts! I reckon you have more energy than me! Nice to hear a rant when a rant is due!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging helps keep me in touch with how much I've actually accomplished!

      Delete
  8. Your little doilies are so very pretty!!! :)
    And your tatted doily is wonderful!!!!!! :)
    I agree about the language used. I know many people who use it too and I really dislike it!!! But, I don't like when they say something is family friendly and then include bad language!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like others I have stopped going to movies for that reason. I am just not entertained.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!