Saturday, September 15, 2018

Capstar

As I was tatting last night, I felt totally uninspired by the thread I was using, Liz Metallic Antique Gold. However, as I was drifting off to sleep an idea came to mind.


I woke up at 4:30 this morning, eager to get started. What started out as something very boring, quickly became a pattern that worked well with the Antique Gold thread. I asked Dave for an idea for a name, and he suggested Capstar. The name sounded familiar, so I Googled it and found out that it is the name of a flea and tick medicine for cats and dogs... hmmm. We bounced around a few other ideas, but Capstar stuck. If it keeps away fleas and ticks, that will be a bonus!

Would you like the pattern? Here it is!

Capstar Ice Drop
designed by Diane Cademartori
September 15, 2018

Supplies: size 20 Liz Metallic thread, two shuttles wound CTM, flattened bottle cap (available on Amazon, approximately 1 1/4”)

Round 1:
Ring 1: 6-6-6, reverse work
Ring 2: 6-6-6, fold away
Chain: 6-6, reverse work

*Ring 3: 6+6-6 (join to ring 1), reverse work
Ring 4: 6+6-6 (join to ring 2), fold away
**Chain: 6-6, reverse work

Repeat from * to ** 9 times (total of 10 pattern repeats), joining last two rings to first two rings. Insert cabochon before joining last ring. Do not reverse work after last chain.

Round 2:

Chain 7, lock join to picot on round 1, switch shuttles
Ring: 2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2 (7 picots), switch shuttles
Chain 7, lock join to base of ring on round 1


Repeat pattern 9 times. Cut, tie, and hide ends.

7 comments:

  1. Another Star in your cap !!! And your picoted floating rings reflect the pattern in the cap nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to use five picots (five is my favorite number!), but I went with seven. I'm glad I did! I think the picots top it off quite nicely!

      Delete
  2. I'm kind of speechless! Your mind is really working overtime! This is another winner! Some might think you have insomnia, but we all know that you are an 'early bird'. While you're waking up all rarin' to go, I'm usually finally falling asleep!

    I just noticed that your instructions have the name 'Capstone' rather than 'Capstar'. although either one would work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was auto-correct, which can sometime drives me crazy! I thought I had caught all of them. Thanks for pointing it out!

      Delete
  3. You are definitely the Queen of ice drops! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!