Thursday, January 3, 2019

Cracklin' glass gems


I was given a container of clear glass gems, and since I really had nothing else to do today, I decided to spend the morning crackling them.

The process is very easy. Preheat the oven to 500 F. Put glass gems on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. While they're in the oven, fill a metal pan or bowl with ice water. I've found that having the water chill while the glass gems are "baking" gives better results.

I've also found that it's better to not "bake" too many glass gems at a time. The last time I filled the cookie sheet, the first gems to be plunged in to the water crackled nicely, but the last ones to go in didn't crackle as much. Today I used a small cookie sheet, and heated about 24 at a time. I now have a nice big jar filled with crackled glass gems just waiting to be turned into Ice Drops!


I think the crackled glass gems look especially nice. The seem to pick up colors and emphasize the "ice" part of the Ice Drop. I love my new shuttle from Grizzly Mountain Arts. This design is one of Dave's doodle pyrography designs. I think it's appropriate that I used a Doodle Pyrography shuttle to create a Doodle Ice Drop!


I had one lonely glass gem sitting on the table next to my chair, so I decided to take the time to turn it into an Ice Drop as well. I do love my Grizzly Mountain Arts shuttles, and I pleased to own several with lighthouse designs on them.

I really thought I would move on to other tatting designs in the new year. I did start on a Myra Piper design, but I've messed up on it twice, so I have nothing new to show. I've been saying it for a long time, but I really do need to get my craft supplies in order. I keep telling myself that I'll spend 15 minutes a day going through something, anything. Then I get distracted by a pretty shuttle, a glass gem, or a color of thread. Maybe it's time to embrace my messiness!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I especially like the clear ones! I've tried the colored glass gems, but they lose some of their color in the process.

      Delete
  2. I’ve been meaning to crackle some gems for a long time - now you’ve inspired me to get back to that thought! I’m trying to organize many things here in the New Year - but I, too, keep getting distracted by new ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to crackle! All it takes is a little time, a little heat, and a little ice!

      Delete
  3. I've been 'meaning' to tidy my spare room with its crafting supplies for some time - embracing the messiness is much more appealing! The crackled gems really do look icy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is half gone, and I've done nothing even close to tidying. Maybe tomorrow...

      Delete
  4. The crackle does add more interest and visibility especially to the absolutely clear ones. I need end my laziness & organize quickly too, since I'm expecting a huge stash to arrive in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely! The crackled ones add more interest to the clear gems. I have so many inspirations from you- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only broke one, and that was from dropping it on the floor, not from the process. We'll see how many I use between now and July!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your excellent description of the gem crackling process. Sounds so easy and the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy, and I feel like I've created something beautiful to work with!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!