I don't have a lot of silk in my stash, but I do love the colors I have! This one's Royal Ruby by LadyShuttleMaker. The pattern is, of course, Stumpy by Kersti Anear. I wonder if I'll ever tire of this pattern? I think not!
I do wish I could figure out why my pictures have been turning out so fuzzy lately. I guess it's time for another photography lesson with one of my daughters!
Are those for the tatted shuttles? I bought some silk from Lady Shuttle Maker too . . .
ReplyDeleteSo tell us what you think about tatting with silk. How does it compare to tatting with cotton?
ReplyDeleteI have a love/hate relationship with the silk. I love the sheen, the softness, the look. I hate that it snags on the rough patches on my fingers. I guess I need to soften up my hands... ooh! another excuse for avoiding housework!
ReplyDeleteThe silk is not as tight a twist as the cotton. So when I'm tatting larger rings, I have to watch the thread carefully and close the rings slowly. The twist does come undone with the larger rings. I don't think it's noticeable in the end. I just need to take a little more care. If you look closely, I think you can see that some of the rings look a little bumpier. I think those are the rings where I didn't pay as close attention.
Yes, these are for the epoxy shuttles. Anne did not recommend silk in her directions, because it had not been tested. I volunteered to use some of my stash so that Chris could try it out. I mailed it off yesterday, so make sure you watch The Tatting Forums for updates!
Boy, that pattern looks a great deal like the first pattern sent to me by Sue Hanson, to learn about tatting from diagrams (2007 ?? therebouts). I made earrings from the pattern and added beads.
ReplyDeleteI, personally, love silk threads and of course since I can't DO any housework (even when I'd like to) I have very soft hands (those of a spoiled, pampered victorian woman. LOL . . but not by choice). Also, I found if I use the right size crochet hook for joins or a shuttle with a generous hook, I don't have any splitting problems. My only negative is that it tends to stretch a bit; but, of course, one can allow for that tendency. I have a great deal of Sherry's silks because I love the luscious colors. Planning on doing the sheep on the sheep doily (if I ever get that far) with her off white, creamy color ~ perfect for sheep and with a sheen.
xx bj
These look wonderful! I have had little time recently to pick up a shuttle, although I did get an inch or two done monitoring a study hall earlier this week. Sadly, by the end of the week I needed the study hall time to catch up on my gradebook.
ReplyDeleteI love the silks and Sherry's colors are wonderful. There's definitely a difference in texture and tension between silk and cotton thread. Stumpy is such a fun bookmark.
ReplyDeleteI bet these feel as beautiful as they look. Your tatting is so perfect. Happy tatting...
ReplyDeleteNice job.
ReplyDeleteNice article with valuable details.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the detailed information.
ReplyDelete