Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tatting embellishments


The front of my spring purse is actually about an inch wider than the scan shows. It all didn't fit in the scanner. I did try scanning it sideways, but then I couldn't get the image to save after I rotated it. I have so much to learn!

Anyway, I tacked down the Daisy Chain edging and added two little tatted butterflies. I'm very proud of the fact that I figured out a little butterfly design without using a pattern! I tried making three different types of knots for the antennae (French, Candlewicking, and Chinese), but they're really just globby little knots. I have a very difficult time following written directions! I also tried feather stitching. Again, I had a difficult time following the directions, so I just kind of did my own thing... it works for me! The little buttons will be a cluster of flowers, but I haven't decided how to finish up my little bouquet yet.

I had hoped to accomplish much more, but I've come to realize that wrist rotation is a very important factor in hand sewing! So, maybe this spring purse will be for next spring!

7 comments:

  1. Awww Looking Sweet! Have you checked out the Video Library of Stitches?
    http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html
    Very handy to have them free online and as vids!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO pretty! What about a summer purse? What a shame to have to wait until next spring to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute,Diane. Your butterfly looks great...bravo for being a "good patient" and not doing to much to your wrist. Get better so you can sew all you want later. I happen to be a nurse with some health issues, myself, so I personally know how hard it is not to overdo it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, Diane! A little at a time is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you machine sew or hand stitch the whole purse together using different pieces of fabric? It's so neat! I don't know how to use the machine and have not try quilting. Have been full of envy for those who can sew and do quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone!

    Singtatter, the pieces are machine stitched to a piece of white fabric. The embellishments are sewn on by hand. I haven't done much crazy quilt piecing, but I'm having fun with it. I can machine stitch pretty easily, but the hand work is taking me some time. If you would like to experiment with embellishing a CQ block, e-mail me and I'll put one together for you. I have some fabric that really needs to be used up, and I'm not going through it nearly as quickly as I need to!

    I'll be glad to share pieced blocks with anyone else who would like one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! Your butterflies are so sweet! I absolutely despise sewing of any sort...so good on ya!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!