Monday, October 3, 2022

Knitting binge

 

My knitting binge continues! Right now I'm focusing on very simple wrist warmers/fingerless gloves for some of the high school girls. We've had some banter going on for over a year about the color pink. I have never been a big fan of pink, but I've been told it's a good color for me. So, I wear pink once in a while.

Last year a couple of the girls told me I should be wearing pink on Wednesday. I had no idea why until about a month ago. It's from the movie Mean Girls, which I had never seen. I watched the movie about a month ago, and then I understood why pink should be worn on Wednesday.

I have made a point of wearing pink every Wednesday this school year, and the girls and I get a laugh out of it. With the weather turning cooler, the girls have been complaining about how cold they are. I decided they needed pink wrist warmers/fingerless gloves. I played around with stitch count and finishing last week, and I now have something that will work for me. The girls liked my prototypes, so the serious knitting has begun. Quite a few girls have show interest in the project, so I may have created a monster!

I'm using worsted weight wool with size 4 needles. I've cast on 32 stitches, and knit in garter stitch for 6". I then slip stitch the sides together using a crochet hook, and hide the ends. I did have to buy pink yarn for this project. I did start knitting a pink sweater for myself about 20 years ago. I ended up throwing it out. The size was wrong, and I just couldn't take the pink any longer! Somehow, smaller projects in pink don't bother me.


My brother and sister came down to visit this weekend, and Mom wanted a picture of the three of us wearing our Orenberg warm shawls. Mom and I wore ours folded in half as a rectangle. Janet folded hers into a triangle. Mom did a beautiful job on all three. It took her about a year each to knit hers and mine, mainly because we were both distracted by other projects. She knit Janet's in about three months. Mom's is out of a lace weight acrylic. Janet's and mine are out of a silk/merino blend. All three of us will stay warm this winter!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting backstory on your feelings about the color pink! Well, oddly enough my monitor shows the color of your in-progress knitting as more of a coral color (very pretty). Anyhow, the three of you look stunningly beautiful in your splendid knit shawls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks coral on my monitor, also. I think it must be the lighting! Mom is very proud of those shawls, as she should be!

      Delete
  2. Those are gorgeous!!! :)
    I see your mom stole your favorite color since I remember her favorite color is red. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I started knitting one in a different shade of blue. I guess I should try to catch up to her!

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, the shawls are absolutely gorgeous. I had to look at the picture more closely to appreciate them. Lucky girls to have you take pink on board and knit for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom did a fantastic job! The shawls are very large, but ultra light and cozy. The girls have been checking my progress every day. Right now, there are ten girls interested. I wonder if more will ask for them when they see them finished?

      Delete
  4. WOW to the shawls. I like yours best. Nothing wrong with pink!!!! The brighter the better, says I!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mine the best, too! Pink is growing on me, but blue is still the best for me!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!