Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Winding down

I can't believe that my summer is almost at an end. It has been wonderful, but it has just zipped by.


Joanne, Jan, and Sophia headed home to Minnesota on Sunday. We took Mom up to my sister's house on Sunday. I am very lucky to have been able to spend so much time with my family this summer!


Mom and I were looking through her Handwoven magazine, and I saw that Schacht now makes a floor stand for the Cricket loom. Mom bought one for me and it arrived yesterday. It was very easy to put together. I did have to have Dave drill holes in the loom, but a template came with it, so it didn't take him long. I plan on warping it today. Thank you, Mom!


I finished Sophia's doily this morning. I love the way it turned out! The edging pattern is "Butterflies" from A Pattern Book of Tatting by Mary Konior. The fabric center is about 8 1/4". With the edging, the doily is about 10 1/4". I used size 20 Lizbeth, #119, Jelly Bean... perfect for a little girl! I chose to attach the edging with crochet, as Frivole has done with some of her hankies. I'm so glad I used this method. I found that by the time I reached the end of the doily that I had left too many spaces between the butterflies, and I needed two more butterflies to finish. It was so easy to pull out the crochet and rejoin. Thanks for sharing your idea and method, Frivole!


I didn't measure the thread to see how much I used, but I did fill my large Clover shuttle two times to complete the doily. This is how much thread I had left on the shuttle... talk about cutting it close!

My next big project is to pack my tatting bag for our Tollway Tatters meeting this Thursday. We're going to have a special guest, and I want to be sure and bring along some of my favorite items to show everyone, including my two newest tatting books and my newest Grizzly Mountain Arts shuttle. I anticipate a wonderful day!

School starts two weeks from yesterday. I've started working on lesson plans, even though I have no idea of how many sections I'll have of each grade or what my schedule will be. I love getting ready for a new school year!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Sophia's doily is stunning! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son starts school next Monday, and looks like you had a great time with family I think yours stayed longer than mine:( That doily came out great so perfect. Also your loom is nice looking I can't wait to see what you gonna do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophia's doily is absolutely gorgeous! Very neat way of attaching the doily. Enjoy your last bit of free time before school stars. I look forward to seeing what comes off the loom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful doily I love the edging, I must look up the pattern as it looks really beautiful.

    Gosh your summer is nearly at he end, I am hoping ours will stretch a little longer, before the weather turns into winter.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, that's a such a beautiful doily, Diane! Perfect for that little doll, Sophia. :) I can't wait to see what you do with your new loom! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The butterfly edging on Sophia's doily is beautiful. How very sweet of your mom to get you that stand. Your family is lovely and how wonderful to be able to spend time with them. Tollway Tatters must be such fun...I am green with envy. Blissful days as you end your summer time away from school dear...

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!