Sunday, August 30, 2015

In search of a large bobbin shuttle

Earlier in August, Frivole posted about her interest in finding a larger bobbin style shuttle. Although bobbin shuttles are not my favorite, I felt the need to find one! I contacted several bobbin shuttle makers, and will post my findings as they're available. If you make bobbin style shuttles and I didn't contact you, please don't be offended. I'm not sure I can remember who I contacted!

The first shuttles have arrived! They're from Laszlo in Budapest, Hungary. He actually contacted me on the Facebook Tatting Shuttle Addicts page when he read of my search. If you're interested in his shuttles, you can find him on Etsy (Banyek) or Facebook (Coin Smal).


As you can see, this shuttle is just about 3" long.


It's about 1" thick.


The screw holes are recessed and very smooth.



The bobbin itself seems huge!


The bobbin is about 1" wide.



It's about 1/4" thick.



It holds 12 yards of size 10 Aunt Lydia's.


It's ready to go!


Just in case there's a run on these shuttles, I ordered three! Laszlo included this nifty little screwdriver. Can you guess what my new quest is?


I'm making progress on my Jan Stawasz Masterpiece. I think I will finish round 12 this week!

10 comments:

  1. Let us know how you like the big bobbin shuttle - interested to know

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how you like the big bobbin shuttle - interested to know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a large bobbin! I'm interested to find out how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His shuttles are big, too big for me, but they do hold a lot of thread

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful. and if you want lots of thread or large size thread, I just would force myself to adjust to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have asked 'im in the garage' to make a shuttle which will hold a larger bobbin, so thanks for showing the measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bobbin will be really good for the outer rows of big doilies. You're going to need it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not used a shuttle with a bobbin in, it looks a lovely shuttle and very large great for the monster doily
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sure are beautiful shuttles!! :)
    Still loving that doily!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look very beautiful Diane. His mix of woods is really pretty and they look smooth too.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!