Monday, August 31, 2015

Masquerade

I really needed to try out my new large bobbin shuttle, so I chose a familiar pattern.


This is Masquerade from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior. I have a love/hate relationship with this pattern. Either it works up beautifully as it did this time, or I get all discombobulated and can't make it work. I'm glad it worked well this time!

I used size 10 Aunt Lydia's. It's hard to believe that I used to consider size 10 thread to be "fine" crochet. Now it feels like rope to me! I don't mind crocheting with size 10, but I really don't like tatting with it.

The shuttle worked great! I should let you know that I'm not a big fan of bobbin shuttles, although I do have quite a few in my collection. I guess because I learned to tat with post shuttle, it will always be my first love. Anyway, I was impressed with Laszlo's shuttle. I thought that the recessed screws might bother me, but they didn't. The shuttle is so smooth, the recess didn't matter at all.

However, if you do not like tatting with a large shuttle, I wouldn't recommend this one. I have many tatting friends who do not like large shuttles. They don't bother me. Just so you know, the large Clover shuttle seems small after using the large bobbin shuttle. I hope that gives you a frame of reference.


My newest scarf is coming along nicely. This is Morant from Sequence Knitting. I treated myself to some Madelinetosh. My friend Denise loves it for knitting socks, so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a lovely yarn! I don't usually spend this much per skein, but one skein won't break the bank!

7 comments:

  1. I love Masquerade! It’s a lovely pattern. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your research of these unusual shuttles! That's a really large bobbin, which I'm guessing comes from an industrial machine. How interesting that he contacted you! And a wonderful example of the Masquerade pattern.

    And you're still knitting up a storm! Another beautiful scarf - looks nice and soft! Again, love the pattern..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a large shuttle would take some getting used to. Good for thick thread or very large rounds to avoid joins, but could be awkward to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Masquerade ist ein tolles Motiv. Ich mag es!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your motif looks fabulous!!! :)
    Your scarf wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Masquerade is a lovely pattern. Thank you for the review of the shuttle. Yesterday being a holiday in England 'im in the garage' started one using a sewing machine bobbin, slightly smaller than the one you have in your new shuttle, but it should take more thread than the aero bobbins. Will test and see when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely patten from Mary Konior, a good test for your new shuttle, and your lovely review on the use of it.
    Your new scarf is looking beautiful nd looks warm.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!