Friday, July 29, 2011

Paying the piper his due...

I've spent this morning cleaning. I figured I had to catch up since I've been having so much fun this summer! What fun, you may ask...

Well, I've finished another round on my doily.


My progress has slowed down. I tatted for too long, and my arm protested mightily! Lesson learned... a little here, a little there, and I can accomplish so much more!

On Tuesday, Sue Anna called me and asked if I wanted to drive to Cincinnati with her to meet Jane. I thought... are you kidding me? Of course! I would love to! was my eager reply.

I wanted to do something special for these two special ladies, so I decided to make some Dorset bags, also known as origami pouches.


Lucky for me, I have some stash!


These fabrics are from a fat quarter pack I found at Hobby Lobby a while back. I'm not normally a pink person, but I do like pink and brown together!

Sue Anna picked me up at 6:00 Thursday morning, and we made it to Cincinnati around 10:30. Unfortunately, we forgot about the time change, so we were an hour later than Jane expected. I think she forgave us! ; )

We spent the afternoon at Panera Bread, enjoying each other's company. Although I only met Sue Anna in person in June, and this was my first time to meet Jane, it was is if we had known each other forever!


Jane showed us some of her beautiful tatting. It's so much prettier than any picture!


Sue Anna and I took lots of pictures and video clips with our iPhones. Jane showed us how she organizes patterns and photos on her iPad. We're such geeks! ...and I mean that in the nicest way!

Do you see that Pop-A-Bobbin shuttle by Sue Anna? She has quite a collection of them. I am sooooo envious! Well, I'm a little less envious now, because Sue Anna gave me one of hers. Lucky me! : )

We did have a lady come up to us and ask us what we were doing. I believe she said her aunt used to tat. We offered to give her a lesson, but she declined. It's very flattering to have someone come up and ask about tatting!

We asked some young ladies in a booth near us to take pictures, which they graciously did!


We had Jane home by 6, and we had the pleasure of meeting the very handsome Nick!


Sue Anna had me home by 9:30, and she was home before midnight. That just goes to show that there's a world full of fun to be had in one little day!

So you see, I really have been having too much fun, and it's time to pay the piper his due. Bedroom and bathroom are done... off to the kitchen!

12 comments:

  1. Your doily is FANTASTIC! Love the way it is coming together and hope your arm and house will let you do more tatting soon.

    Sounds like yesterday was a great day. It must have been a lot of fun to meet up for some tatting with friends. The dorset bags are really neat - I think brown looks great with everything, but especially pink.

    You've been meeting so many tatters this summer! If you keep up, we could start a "Seven Degrees of Diane" game. :))

    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane! I'm so jealous of your exciting summer meet-ups. You are certainly lucky to have been able to meet so many blogging tatting friends. The dorset bag is my absolute favorite for hauling around my tatting.

    Your doily is looking wonderful. How big is that doily going to be when finished? I am thinking about attempting a larger doily soon. THAT's as far as I've gotten. Thinking.

    Glad you've been having such fun. I think Ann is right . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous!!! What a great way to spend your day! Your doily is gorgeous too. So glad you have had soooo much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cindy, the doily is supposed to be 12" when finished. We'll see how big my version turns out!

    Barbara, I can hardly wait to see how yours looks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doily is beautiful and the Dorset bags are really wonderful too!
    What a fun summer, I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet up with Jane and Sue Anna- what a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the pink bag on Sue Anna's blog and ALMOST asked about it! I'm not normally a pink person either but it's so sweet looking. Both are, now that I see them both. Good choice of fabric! And wasn't that mat by Jane gorgeous? You see now why I rue not taking photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree it was a great time and so happy you came along. It made the trip go much better and the driving faster! Love my new bag so thank you very much!
    What a great joy to learn from a tatter like Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures! Love the one of you three adventurous souls together! Having just visited with you and Sue Anna last week, I know you all had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a marvelous time! I've never heard of a Dorset bag before (gee, I learn so much from other Tatters!) and I like your color combo of the pink and brown. Your doily is looking beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Sue Anna's multi-colored piece. For someone who isn't a tatter, what is it? It almost looks like a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness there was big sister! Looking forward to seeing her again, which will actually be the day she arrives back in the UK, due to an unexpected visit to her area. It has been a great Summer for tatters meeting up and travelling such distances to do it.
    Good to see the pop-a-bobbin shuttles, production has temporary halted because of family problems but will get him back in the garage soon!
    Love the bags a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your little pouches and the tutorial link. I am thinking I must try making one of these. Your doily is truly beautiful. Happy tatting...

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!