Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Another new shuttle and some beautiful thread!



I know I've mentioned before that I love to shop online. Part of the reason is that it takes me a half hour at least to get to any shopping, and that doesn't include places I love like little yarn shops!

Every once in a while I do a search on eBay, Etsy, or Google for tatting shuttles and find something new that I just have to have. That was the case with this little beauty! I found it at http://stores.ebay.com/Alexandra-Beatty-Designs. It's made out of a gourd! It's 3.5" x 1" x1", painted, and sealed. The last time I looked at this shop, there was a shuttle with a giraffe pattern on it... very cool! She also had a plain shuttle listed, just perfect for decorating yourself... if only I had a flair for design!

I just had to have some of the thread when I saw these beautiful jewel tones! (Sorry for the glare on the pictures... I haven't figured out how to eliminate that.) Have any of you ever worked with it before? Now, if I only had a little more time!

10 comments:

  1. Please, please let this old git know what you think of the thread. I like Flora type threads and hate perle!!! If this is a good thread then I'll order some myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shuttle is beautiful and so unusual. I'll have to check out this shop. The thread is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, the shuttle is beautiful and I would be interested in knowing what it is like to tat with. I also would have had to order the thread if I saw it. The colours are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shuttle is delightfully pretty! Thank you so much for sharing her work with us! I'm definately going to check her out! How exciting to get some fun looking new threads! I can't wait to see what beautiful things you make with it.

    Oh, I know how to get rid of the glare!!! Take the balls of thread out of the plastic next time you photograph them, LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful shuttle and really unique.

    The glare is from the flash, I think. If you put your subject near a window in indirect sunlight, there may be enough light without a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her shop and have bought Finca from her, too. I like Finca thread in size 12 and 16, the larger sizes(8 and 12) are too 'bumpy' for my tastes. Finca has a huge selection of colors, too. The only thing to watch for is if you make your stitches very tight, it will be hard to close your rings and the thread will get fuzzy if you have to retrotat a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized I contradicted myself! What I meant to say is the larger sizes 5 and 8 are too bumpy. Sizes 12 and 16 are nice and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a pretty shuttle you got there, diane. thanks for letting us know. i'll have a look online some time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I too like the Finca in the finer size threads. I hadn't tried those described as 'slubbed'(slubby?) LOL
    And reading your blog cost me $$ ~ love the giraffe printe gourd shuttle; ordered it! Too cute.
    I tend towards 'jewel' colors myself; deliver me from pastels...but that's just 'me' being 'me'..LOL
    BJ Ridgetatter

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!