Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sulky Blendables #4019 ~ Forest Floor


Oh, I do like this color! I think the name is perfect... shades of light brown mixed in with the green... all very subdued... I can almost feel the sunlight filtering through the trees!

I may have mentioned that I've been trying out a self-imposed austerity budget in preparation for retirement. I know it's four years away, but old habits die hard. Anyway, I've been very unsuccessful in my budgeting efforts. Point in case... I couldn't resist this beautiful silver shuttle inlaid with turquoise and malachite from West Pine Creations! I love the feel of it in my hands, and I feel so elegant tatting with it! Yes, there is a bit of adjustment when tatting with a shuttle like this. I've had to learn to turn the shuttle sideways so that the thread doesn't catch on the stones. This slows me down a bit, but I don't mind. I've never been a speed tatter, and I don't think I ever will be!


Although I purchased the shuttle, Marie kindly sent me two tatted teapots (Martha Ess's patterns), as well as a Tatting Essentials tool. They were a thank you for sending thread samples. I never expect anything in return for thread samples, but I am always thrilled with unexpected gifts! The teapots have been tatted with some of the Sulky thread that I sent to Marie, blended with metallic thread. They really shimmer in the sunlight! Thank you, Marie!


Stephanie Grace recently posted a picture of her motif in shades of red. I had written to her that red is my mom's favorite color, and she sent it to me to give to Mom! She also sent two other pieces and some thread samples. The generosity of tatters overwhelms me at times. Thank you, Stephanie Grace!


I try to stay away from eBay. There are way too many temptations there! As you can see, I succumbed and won this lovely little Bee Shuttle from Jitterbug62. It arrived in a pretty little organza bag decorated with tatting. What a thrill! Thank you, Carollyn!

Is there any help for me? I can't help myself... I LOVE tatting shuttles!

3 comments:

  1. I say indulge now while you can, and enjoy. I thought the last few years of working was the time to stock up on everything before the reality of retirement hits the budget.... ;-0
    pretty shuttles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really -- austerity? Do that somewhere else in the budget! I've cut down on my "gas for the car" budget by sharing a ride with my sister and on my book-buying budget by checking out the Nook sales and free books (and swapping Nooks with my sister so we don't have to by the same thing twice). But, cut down on the tatting budget. I shudder! However, once you've cut your tatting budget to the bone, let me know and I'll sneak you a care package now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shuttle is a little different to get use to. I love them all, something about tatting with a beautiful shuttle. When I use them, I move my shuttle down and not glide the top against the thread. Takes a little getting use to, but I've done it for so long, I forget about it. Finally finished my book, so finally have time to make some more tea pots with the newest string you've sent me. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!