Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Knitting mode

I haven't finished unpacking my tatting supplies since returning from the Twin Cities Tatters retreat. I'll get around to that today. In the meantime, beautiful yarns have been calling me!


I bought this gorgeous color in Minnesota. Kathryn caked it for me, and I got started on Reyna. I've finished one garter stitch and one mesh stitch section. I love this pattern!


Joanne and I did a lot of porch walking yesterday to try and walk off some of the luscious meals we had last week. We also went to school to help daughter Carol hang some things in her classroom. I just didn't have the energy to unpack, so I picked up Blue Jean Saturday since it was right next to my chair. I knit one row and had the wrong stitch count, or so I thought. I called Mom for some knitting advice and moved on, but something wasn't quite right.

I carefully unknit about six rows, and then I realized what was wrong. I was thinking that the stitch count increased by two every other row, so I should always have an odd number of stitches. Not so... the stitch count increases by one every other row. I took a few minutes to write down what the stitch count should be at the end of each increase row, and I was back on track in no time.

I now have two sections of garter stitch and two sections of lace finished. I've written the stitch count down for the next to sections, and I'm ready to go!

10 comments:

  1. I easily forget how nice your knitting skills are 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I need to learn to read patterns well so that I don't have to keep unknitting!

      Delete
  2. Your retreat sounds wonderful. Ah, I’m knitting too. I do like your yarns, lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The retreat was wonderful! The knitting is a little easier on my hands, but harder on my brain!

      Delete
  3. I'm knitting the Reyna shawl too! I agree that its a terrific pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to develop a rhythm with Reyna, and the pattern is so pretty!

      Delete
  4. I especially love the mixture of the blue and green yarn. What does the word 'caked' mean in relation to knitting? Do you ever sit, put your feet up and just do nothing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the yarns I buy come in hanks rather than skeins. I use a swift and a ball winder to put the hanks into cakes. I can choose to pull the yarn from the center or from the outside. I prefer to put my cake on a yarn butler and take the yarn from the outside in. That way, if I don't use all of the yarn, it's still in a neat little cake. If I pull from the center, I need to rewind any remaining yarn.

      Haha! There are many days when I feel like I've done nothing!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!