Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beatrice No. 2

I don't know why this picture is sideways, but if you tilt your head to the left...


I finished my second "Beatrice" from Tatted Doilies by Iris Niebach today. I tatted it in "Pensacola Beach" size 20 from Sherry Pence aka LadyShuttleMaker. My only problem with tatting Iris's patterns is that I would sometimes lose my place and pick up the pattern in the wrong place, resulting in the need to retro-tat. I tried something a little different with this one. I made eight copies of the pattern, one for each spoke of the doily, and colored in each ring and chain as I finished it. Coloring in the rings and chains helped alleviate that problem and left me with pretty straightforward tatting. I found out that Pamela and Laura do something similar!

I plan on making one of Iris's doilies for each tray of my shuttle display case that my dad made for me. I think the doily helps set off the shuttles beautifully! This is my Grizzly Mountain Arts collection.


This was a wonderful week... I got to spend time with two of my grandchildren twice in one week! Tuesday, Alison picked me up at the airport. Then Alison, Eva, and Aidan came to visit on Saturday while Dan was at a men's retreat. Eva and Aidan helped Aunt Carol and Grandpa "peel" the corn for dinner. We feasted on corn on the cob, tomatoes, watermelon, and musk melon both times! Ahh, summer!

9 comments:

  1. Diane, we are so honored that you would display our items in such a beautiful manner! Your doily is stunning!

    Do you know how much you could sell that corn on the cob for around here?? LOL It's up to .79 an ear at our grocery store! We sure miss the part of the country where you could either grow your own, or buy it 10 ears for a dollar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Diane! What a lovely way to show off your tatting shuttles.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is the best way to show off a shuttle collection that I have ever seen. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning, Diane. Not only the doily, but the display case incorporating the doily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn on the cob AND watermelon!?! You lucky ducky! Mmmmmmm.....

    BTW, I love the way you have your doily and shuttles displayed! Lovely, really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a collection and display, how I wish I could admire them in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo and Dave, I'm honored to have a collection of your shuttles and other fiber art tools! After I posted the picture, I realized that two shuttles are not in the display case... they're connected to tatting!

    Thank you, everyone!! I love collecting tatting shuttles. I've lost track of how many I have now. I consider them all to be little works of art, and they don't take up nearly as much room as some of my other collections: thread, fabric, yarn, books...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, What a wonderful collection of shuttles you have from Grzzly Mountain Arts. I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beatrice is lovely and it's a perfect way to show off your considerable collection of shuttles! What a great idea. I'm glad you got to spend time with the grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!