Monday, December 27, 2021

Too busy to blog

We love Christmas! This year, the festivities brought a new challenge and I can only blame myself. On small business Saturday, Mom and I went to my favorite yarn shop, Yarn Hollow. I love beautiful yarns and I already have more than I can ever use, but I felt the need to support this little shop. Jamie, the owner, managed to keep things going through all of the craziness of the past two years, and I want her to stay around for a long time!

Mom and I went intending to buy one skein of yarn each. After all, we can shop upstairs! As we were looking through the beautiful yarns, Mom came up with the idea that we should knit shawls for each of my four daughters, as well as new shawls for the two of us. We saw a sample of the June Shawl by Lisa Overby and decided that it was something we could accomplish. Mom is a pretty speedy knitter, but this year she outdid herself! In time for Christmas, Mom knit shawls for Andrea and Joanne, and then decided that my sister and sister-in-law each needed one... that's four shawls in four weeks! I only managed to finish the shawls for Alison and Carol. To top it all off, Mom decided that the men needed scarves. Again, in time for Christmas, she wove scarves for Steve, Jake, Jan, and Jon. She's finishing off scarves for Dave and Larry this week. My mother is amazing!

I have no proof. Once again I forgot to take pictures. You'll just have to take me at my word!

Now that I'm in knitting mode, this is a typical evening scene at our house. Joanne and family were the last to leave yesterday morning. It's much quieter around here, and I know it won't take long for us to resume our routines.

The temperatures have been very mild for December, but my hands do get cold, especially at night. I find that knitting helps to keep them warm. I'm sure it's a combination of the wool and the motions. As soon as I finished my two Christmas scarves, I went upstairs and found two balls of Fortissima Colori Socka Color. I know I've had the yarn for years, and I truly intended to knit socks with the two balls. However, my skills at knitting to gauge are not very good, so I'm better off knitting shawls and scarves. I'm currently working on Reyna by Noora Backlund. I think this is my favorite shawl pattern. It's easy to follow, which is very important to me!

I did open up my tatting bag yesterday, and I found two button ornaments that just needed to be finished off. I may as well start Christmas presents for next year!

7 comments:

  1. This is the longest I think you've gone without blogging. Glad you had a good Christmas. Reyna is one of my favorite shawls, the Wonder Woman Shawl is also my favorite.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think it's the longest I've gone without blogging. There were too many secrets to keep!

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to the reveal at some point in the future!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I’d have loved to have seen the shawls you and your mum knitted. Your mum sounds like a dedicated knitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see if I can get the girls to send me pictures.

      Delete
  3. Your mom is a busy bee just like you, or maybe it's better to say it the other way around! ;)
    Great color on your new shawl, and nice button ornaments too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!