I feel like I was taking baby steps with crafting this week. I've been volunteering at the elementary school library for the past two weeks, and I will probably be there for all of the upcoming week. I'm helping the new librarian reorganize the library. It's turning out to be a much bigger job than either of us anticipated!
As a result, I'm too tired to do much of anything when I get home... a ring and a chain here and there, five minutes at the sewing machine, ten minutes of reorganizing at home... I'm looking forward to getting back into a normal school year routine of leaving the house around 10:30 and arriving back home around 1:30.
One of the high school girls is saving money to buy a sewing machine. When I heard what she was doing, I asked if she'd like to help me organize my craft supplies, something I've been working on for years without much success. She came over Friday afternoon and put together this seven drawer storage cabinet for me. It's a great size for my craft supplies, and I have two great spots where it will be useful. I may have to order another!
Dave's sister gave daughter Carol her chair that she was given as a young girl. The fabric was well worn, and the chair needed some tender loving care. Carol went on a fabric hunt and found some beautiful vintage fabric from the 1930s on Etsy. Even with the extremely high shipping cost, the fabric was less expensive than any fabrics she found in upholstery shops in our area.
We were surprised at the similarities between the two fabrics. Carol is holding a piece of the old fabric that the upholsterer was able to salvage.
The chair looks great in Carol's bedroom! So, my Saturday adventure was picking up Carol's chair. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a half hour drive to Carol's house and another hour to the upholstery shop. That makes a total of three hours driving time for me. I didn't mind. I find it easy to talk with all of my daughters, and that always makes the time fly by.
I recently watched a YouTube video on turning a sweatshirt into a patchwork jacket. I followed the directions for cutting apart the sweatshirt earlier in the week, and I chose the fabric that I wanted to use. Yesterday afternoon I cut my fabric strips into the size rectangles I wanted. My plan was to also bind more blocks for my quilt, but I ran out of energy.
I'm making slow progress on my latest Curds & Whey bookmark from Tatting with Visual Patterns by Mary Konior.
Dave is heading out to help a friend today, so maybe I'll have some time to make good progress on my projects. I want to accomplish as much as I can today and tomorrow, because I know that crafting time will be sparse in the coming week!





No comments:
Post a Comment
Just like you, I love getting feedback!