Monday, August 6, 2012

Side by side


Wow! What a difference 10 rings in the center of the doily makes compared to 8 rings! On the left is my "Tat This!" doily for Miranda's challenge. On the right is Nancy Tracy's "Mom's Pink Doily." Both are tatted in size 20 Lizbeth.

If you've been following this saga, it turns out that the doily on the fabric in Miranda's challenge photo is actually Nancy Tracy's "Mom's Pink Doily." When I learned this, I decided to make another using Nancy's directions. Nancy's doily has six rounds, so I still have quite a way to go with this, but I wanted to show the two side by side before sending Mom's doily off to her. The green one will go to daughter Joanne.


We had a very busy weekend here. Daughter Carol played Matron "Mama" Morgan in Chicago the Musical, and she did a fantastic job! The other cast members were pretty good too! Of course I attended all three performances. Daughter Andrea was able to drive down from Minnesota, and she attended Friday and Saturday. Daughter Alison and son-in-law Dan drove down for Saturday's performance. My sister-in-law and her husband went on Sunday. It was a great fundraiser for the middle school/high school drama clubs; Carol directs for both groups. Admission to the play was free, and a variety of individuals, businesses, and groups donated items for silent auction.

On Saturday, I had all four grandchildren at my house. I loved every moment, but I was especially thrilled that my granddaughters showed that they love my lace! Lily and Ella went through my stash Saturday morning. Eva will be going through my stash this Friday. Aidan wasn't interested in lace, but he had fun building model planes with his dad and Grandpa.


Ella chose these pieces from Grandma's lace box.


Lily chose these. To top it off, they both chose thread from my apothecary jar and each requested a doily, a heart, and a star. I guess I have my tatting list set! These two aren't quite ready to learn to tat... yet!

Each of the girls went home with a new Origami pouch and four sun dresses for their American Girl dolls. I sure wish I had thought to take pictures of them. Making doll dresses is not my favorite thing to do, but I'm sure I'll make more after seeing how much all three girls loved their new doll clothes!

9 comments:

  1. Nice post... all those lovely daughters and grand - daughters. Great idea to have the girls pick tatting from your 'stash'. They will soon be at an age for tatting-teaching!

    Doll clothes - yech! I picked up some almost new Hardy Boy books for The Boss at a street giveaway this afternoon... too old for her yet - but I would rather read her this than make those doll clothes...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ten-ring doily stands very well on its own (I actually like the open spaces), and you really did an amazing job of figuring it out from the fabric! Remember that Nancy's doily has a total of six rounds so it would be quite large if doing all of them. Both doilies look great! Nice colors! This has all been an amazing story and you tatted them SO quickly!

    Am I to understand that you made a total of 12 sundresses for the dolls?!! Just amazing - plus all your tatting and posting - AND attending several performances of the musical! Sounds like a lot of fun, though!

    All your granddaughters are SO cute! I'm sure your grandson is handsome, too! It's always fun to hear about your family activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting comparison. I think your one has better negative spaces. Lucky children to have such a gran!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comparison, they are both lovely and great colours. Pity that firm used the motif without permission but thats another story .
    Grand daughters I have four and a great grand daughter, only one has taken up tatting, but some years ago I made tow of the a wardrobe plus doll for Christmas, then it was more hats for one doll after Christmas, only I never wrote down the pattern I made up, so brain cells had to rewind and to some more. Grand children can be a great joy, nice to feed them up with chocolate and fizzy drinks and when you have had enough send them home, grandparents privilege

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference two rings make just like when using different sizes in thread. Rosemarie Peel is the only tatter that has done a pattern doing both these things and only on one pattern each.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful weekend you all had! Great memories too! I admire all that you are able to get done - tatting, sewing and enjoying life. You really know how to manage your time very well. Such cute grand kids, just bet they all love to come to your house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doilies are fabulous!!! :)
    And your granddaughters are just angelic!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the open areas in your ten ring doily! Nice!
    Sounds like a fun weekend with your grands, and now you have a long tatting and sewing list to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a sweet post showing how your granddaughters chose your tatting pieces for their very own. Blissful Tatting...

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!