Friday, May 28, 2021

Jean Roux shuttle

I finished the flower motif I was making with my Jean Roux shuttle. I've been asked how to wind the shuttle, and there's nothing like pictures for a how-to!

First, I simply pulled the bobbin out of the case. I was pleasantly surprised at how much thread was left on the bobbin.

I believe the red thread at the bottom is there to keep the bobbin from sliding out of the shuttle.

Apparently, I forgot to take a picture of passing the thread through the shuttle case, but if you look at the top two pictures you can see that all that's needed is to pass the thread from the outside through the inside of the shuttle case. I used a slip knot to attach the thread to the spool. It was a bit fiddly to get started, but once I got started I was able to wind the thread easily.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference which way the thread is wound, but I wound it the same way as I received it.

I probably could have wound more thread onto the bobbin, but this was enough for me. The next step is to insert the bobbin into the shuttle case, making sure to draw the thread through the slit .

I didn't think to measure how much thread I wound on to the bobbin, but now you can see that it is ready for a ring and chain pattern. If I wanted to tat a rings only pattern like the one shown in the first picture, I would simply snip the thread from the ball. Easy peasy!

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing shuttle! Sort of reminds me of the type of bobbin that my great aunt had in her treadle sewing machine. Clever and efficient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I though, Marilee! It is a very clever shuttle.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing - you know you are directly responsible for quite a bit of damage to credit cards recently 😜😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating. The shuttle is smaller than I first imagined. Could it be used for celtic tatting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 3" long and about 1/2" wide. I've been wondering the same thing. I guess I'll have to try some Celtic tatting so that I know the answer!

      Delete
  4. Yes, like Marilyn says, it is definitely like the bobbin mechanism I have in my treadle machine. How is it to work with Diane? How is the tension kept on the thread? It certainly looks very interesting and unique for a tatting shuttle design! Do you like tatting with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it easy to work with. It's narrower than the shuttles I'm used to using, but I found it very easy to adjust my hold. I kept the tension on the thread by holding the thread in place with my thumb. It would not be my first choice for a tatting shuttle, but I do enjoy using it and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

      Delete
  5. Cute little flower piece!! :)
    Very interesting shuttle!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting. your post was very helpful ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used mine for the first time last night, but I had that the whole bottom revolved, not just the bottom part inside: is it the same for you, or is it possible I have something adding friction so that the bobbin doesn't roll?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would it be possible to put the thread through the hole from the outside, attach it to the bobbin, reinsert the bobbin, and then wind the thread onto it using the slit to move the thread evenly along from side to side while winding? And where are these shuttles available?

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!