Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Organizing

Yesterday was a busy day for me. My morning was taken up with a visit to the eye doctor. I have to go every six months to keep a check on cataracts that are developing. I don't do well with having my eyes dilated. It seems like it takes forever for my eyes to get back to normal, and I just don't feel like doing anything until that happens.


A few days ago I watched a YouTube video on organizing fabric. The woman I watched recommended foam board so that you can stick pins in it. I found a pack on Amazon, and it arrived yesterday. I found that if I cut it in half lengthwise, it fit perfectly in this fabric storage box that I have. 

I folded my 10" squares in half, layered them so that I could see about 1/2" of each fabric, wrapped them around the foam board, and then pinned the fabric in place. Now I can easily see what I have. It's pretty clear to me that I need some blending fabrics, so I'll keep that in mind as I sort through my stash.


Mid-afternoon, I decided to give sewing a try. Once again, I joined the ends of the binding incorrectly. However, this time I did notice that I had sewn my diagonal seam in the wrong direction. I turned the fabric the correct way and sewed the seam in the correct direction. Then, I took at the incorrect seam. It worked great, just like basting the fabric before sewing. Still, I will try and sew the ends correctly today!


Daughter Joanne and I are giving each other sewing inspiration by sending pictures of both the fronts and backs of each block. We both have other things that we need to do throughout the day, so we set goals for ourselves with sewing being our reward for accomplishing those goals. It's working pretty well for both of us!


Sewing proved to be a bit too much for me, so once I finished joining my newly finished block, I shut down my sewing machine for the day. I did try tatting after dinner, but I just didn't have the energy. Still, small accomplishments contribute to great achievements!

1 comment:

  1. My sewing pupil needs to sort out his fabric stash. I’ll show him yours for inspiration. I like seeing the back of your blocks, the quilting patterns show up well.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!