Saturday, August 8, 2026

Rag quilt

 It's done! Including the washing and drying, it took a little over 24 hours to complete this rag quilt


This is a nice light weight lap throw. Since it's only two layers, it flows and wraps nicely.

The backing is flannel, so it's nice and soft.

I used all 10" square pre-cut fabric, which helped speed up the project.


The hardest part was the snipping. After assembling the blocks, I had to snip the seam allowances every 1/8". That part took me a little over four hours. Luckily, I have spring loaded snips. My hands were very sore at the end.

While it was interesting to learn a new way of joining quilt blocks, I'm not sure this will be a method I use very often. I have threads everywhere, which isn't unusual with sewing. However, with all those little snips I have a feeling I will be finding threads for days.

From everything I've read and watched on YouTube, a mesh laundry bag is recommended for washing. I did use one. I also put in a color catcher and a micro fiber cloth. It turned out that the color catcher wasn't necessary with this particular quilt. The micro fiber cloth did catch some of the threads, but not as many as I had expected.

After washing, I went outside to shake out the quilt. It's a good thing I did! I could not believe how much lint there was. I also turned the mesh bag inside out, nearly doubling the amount of lint. I put the quilt back in the mesh bag for drying. After one drying cycle, the quilt was still damp in spots, so I removed it from the bag and put it through another drying cycle.

There wasn't much in the lint screen, but there were still lots of threads on the flannel side. I decided to put it through the washer and dryer one more time. There were a couple of small clumps of lint in the washer. The surprise was that the lint screen had a thick mat of threads. There were still lots of threads on the flannel side, which came off easily with a lint roller.

This is not a true quilt, in my opinion, because there are only two layers. There are directions for making rag quilts with a layer of cotton fabric, flannel, or batting in the middle. I can only imagine how much lint one of these would generate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like you, I love getting feedback!