Sunday, October 10, 2010

Dipping into decoupage...


I've been reading a lot about blinged shuttles on blogs and over at InTatters, so I decided to give it a go. Having absolutely no experience, I decided to do a little research first. I found Amy Anderson's Mod Podge blog, and asked her for some advice. Amy very graciously answered my e-mail, and I followed her advice. First, I sealed the scrapbooking paper I chose with a sealer to help prevent wrinkling. I think I may choose a thinner paper next time... origami paper? I'd also like to try fabric to see how it works. I wasn't very careful as I was working. I just kind of slopped everything on and hoped for the best.


This morning, I used a craft knife to trim away the excess paper. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result. I should have followed all of Amy's advice, though. I should have done one side at a time instead of trying to cover everything at once. Live and learn!


I've tatted quite a bit this week, but I didn't really finish anything! Yes, I did finish a couple of tiny motifs, but I was just trying to use up shuttle thread, so I don't think that counts! You can see two Stumpy motifs, but I'm only keeping the one on the right. The one on the left is too sloppy. After I finish a matching motif, I'll send these off the Chris Hinton to be shuttle-fied! I've been working on my Clover doily, but I haven't gotten very far. My Dragon Wing Doily is at a stand-still... I'll leave that story for a separate post!

Today is Dave's and my 30th wedding anniversary! We were married 10/10/80 at 10 a.m. Dave chose the date and time so that he could remember our anniversary... smart man! The other day I read that this weekend is special. Once every 823 years, we have an October with 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays, and 5 Sundays. Imagine the universe arranging such a special weekend just for us! Oh, if it were only true! I checked it out, and this year's calendar is exactly the same as 1999. Still, it is kind of cool to have a month with 5 Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, especially since 5 is my favorite number! (My maiden name is Diane Carol Green... 5 - 5 - 5... Thanks for making my name so special Mom and Dad!) So, this morning at 10 a.m. on 10/10/10, we will officially celebrate 30 years of marital bliss. Hmmm... maybe I'd better check with Dave to see if he thinks it's been blissful! ; )

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the 30 years. Hope you double that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the first 30 years!

    Your shuttle looks great. Please be sure to show us your next one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blinged shuttle looks great - it sounds like you were much more organized than I. I really just "slopped" it on as you say. I've now tried decoupaging napkins also - harder to keep the edges neat.

    Congratulations on your anniversary! 30 years is wonderful. Have a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!

    (I got so excited seeing 14 letters here, thus #5, but I cannot count!)

    However - 30 years is awesome! Big accomplishment. May you enjoy many, many, happy, healthy more years to come!

    The motifs look great - you are productive this week!

    You beat me to the Mod Podge... I am afraid if I get started down this path.... you know!

    ♥ Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary, Sweet Girl!!! I loved reading about it all... and your motifs and first attempt at decoupage are beautiful! xo Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! Here's to another 30 wonderful years!

    I like your Lucky Clover doily. I did that one in blue, too, many years ago. Maybe I'll post it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!

    You remind me that I bought some Modpodge and patterned tissue paper. Now....where did I put it??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ola! Daiane
    PARABÉNS, esta data deve realmente ser especial para você e seu esposo, tendo em vista estarem juntos 30 anos de muita cumplicidade, carinho, discernimento, companheirismo e amor.
    Bjs no seu coração, belíssimo.
    c/carinho
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out so great - I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to you both on your 30th Anniversary!

    Beautiful shuttle. I have some shuttles that I am afraid to use so I just display them, but I always have quite a few clovers in various stages of tatting, I'd like to have them "bling"ed up a bit, that looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 10.10.10 30th anniversary. Quite the accomplishment these days. Good job on your tatting and decoupaging. Happy tatting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your Anniversary and wow cool looking shuttle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Congratulations on your anniversary! Hope you have a wonderful day and many more years!

    Your shuttle is wonderful- I am SOOO going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to you both on 30 years - with another 30 ahead!
    Karen in OR heading toward 42 yrs
    (PS Did Dave agree?! He better!):)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary and I love your blinged shuttle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your anniversary! Your tatting looks good and so does your decoupaged shuttle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to D and D. Hope you had a wonderful day celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your Wedding Anniversary! That is kind of cool!
    Your shuttle turned out nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your shuttle! Bright and beautiful!
    The clover doily is looking great!
    The stumpies are cool too.
    The dragonwing doily amazes me cuz' it actually makes me like green more!
    Congratulations on your 30 years! May the next 30 be blessed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! And the shuttle is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary! Your shuttles look great.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!