Thursday, October 21, 2010

October snowflake



After several false starts, I finally completed my October snowflake for the One Snowflake A Month challenge over at The Tatting Forums. I think I'll make my picots smaller the next time. It looks like I have little ladders for my chains! This pattern is from DMC Festive Tatting, Motif #11. I used DMC perle cotton, size 12, and it measures 3" across.

For some reason, I've been having a difficult time reading patterns for the past couple of weeks. I tried four or five different snowflake patterns before finally tatting one correctly! Maybe this will be my snowflake pattern for the year, and I'll tat the same pattern in different threads instead of tatting different patterns!

I received an email this morning about an article called "40 iPad Apps That Librarians Love." What a great article! I think some of these apps would be great for anyone. If there are any teachers reading my blog, you may want to check it out as well. Now I want to run out and buy an iPad! Unfortunately, it's not in the budge right now, but it sure is fun to dream about!

11 comments:

  1. Hmm... must be something in the autumn air.

    I cannot seem to get Karey's Oak Leaf off the ground! The pattern is not working for me after three tries... I will start #4 today!

    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find some snowflake patterns and get started on them. I need to get my hands on some white thread too!!!

    The Textile club watched one of your videos this week. My daughter was horrified to find that the teacher who is going to teach the new kids to tat disagreed with nearly everything on the video. She plans to teach them to tat without a shuttle (but not with a needle), and to start with rings because they are easier among other things. My daughter has already taught several kids how to tat so we'll see how the new students do as compared to the ones she taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'd call that a perfect snowflake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! And, you could probably add small white, silver, or clear beads on those picots for a little extra sparkle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ola!Diane
    amiga, ficou belo seu trabalho, vou tentar quem sabe eu consigo fazer
    bjs no coração
    c/carinho
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting, it looks a lot like the center of the Lucky Clover doily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that it is a very pretty snowflake, Diane, and I think you are being too hard on yourself.
    I agree with God's Kid, bead on those pesky picots would be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your snowflake looks beautiful just the way it is!!!

    Heading over to check out the apps- thanks for the heads-up; I have an iphone not an ipad but sometimes the apps are similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely snowflake you do such lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty snowflake. :) Also it is worth getting an ipad. I have one and love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My head is spinning after reading about the iPad! When I first saw one in a store last month, I thought it was a smart phone on steroids, or something for old folks (like me) to use - big buttons and all. Usually 'they' try to make gizmos as small as possible, and here was this 'large' thing, almost looking like a photo frame. Ironically, it doesn't have an SD card slot, which disappointed me!

    But all those apps are amazing! The question is, are there monthly fees involved for these?

    I still don't know how you keep up with everything, and just keep tatting away! It's all I can do just to keep up with the blogs!

    Great snowflake! You're too critical of your work!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!