Sunday, October 17, 2010

To flash, or not to flash...

that is the question! Some day, I'm going to read the manual that came with my camera, and figure out how to take a good picture. The true colors lie somewhere between these two photos!


In yesterday's mail, I received this beautiful thank-you card from Tatting Marie. I have card-making supplies, but somehow I've never gotten around to actually making a card. Thank you for the beautiful thank-you card, Marie!


I also received two of Heather's beautiful polymer clay shuttles... how does she do that? I'm loving the finer threads, and Heather's Summer Brights in size 40 called my name!

Yesterday I went shopping with my sister-in-law and two of her friends in beautiful Long Grove Village. We had a perfect day, and I did find some Christmas presents. However, I preferred Long Grove Village in the early '70s when most of the shops carried hand-crafted items. We did visit a wonderful little yarn shop, I'd Rather Be Knitting, which I had visited with daughter Alison several years ago. There's something about oodles of beautiful yarn that sets my fingers itching to knit!

8 comments:

  1. The solution for your photos probably lies in the white balance.... if you can shoot without flash, but set your camera for the type of light you have coming in the window, you should be good. I usually use a daylight or shade setting, my camera tends to make things a touch too blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your items despite the camera issues all look good. The card is so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Krystle! I'll try to remember to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what settings I use on my camera, I usually end up having to adjust the colors on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. White balance can also be edited afterwards on some photo programs. Another solution I use for my etsy photography is a regular clip on lamp, with an OttLite light bulb. The OttLite mimics natural lighting. But they are expensive, so best to invest in one when you have a 50% off coupon to your favorite craft store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I second Paige Marie's suggestion. When I'm taking pictures to post on my portfolio, I try to use a few lamps with the daylight style bulbs in them. No need for flash, then!

    I use the GE brand bulbs. They're about $2 for a pack of 2 (I think.. the last ones I bought have lasted a while 'cause I don't use them often..), and are really bright!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info, everyone! I do have an Ott Lite, which I use when I take pre-dawn pictures. I know there's a setting on my camera for daylight, shade, etc. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont have a comment about your photography! But I do about your new shuttles and they are lovely as is the thread

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!