Sunday, January 3, 2021

Donuts

My donuts from Fire Mountain Gems arrived last week. Honestly, I had kind of forgotten about them, but they caught my eye this morning, and I decided to play!

I started with a simple ring and chain pattern. Everything is in 5s, my favorite number!

Then I decided it would be fun to add some Swarovski crystals. I love Swarovski crystals, so this one has been tucked away in the box of ornaments I'm keeping for our tree.

While tatting with the crystals, I got to thinking that the donut would look nice with rings, chains, and no picots. It's very simple, but I think it will be eye-catching on a tree.

Next, I decided to try three seed beads at the base of the ring. I'm not sure I like this one.

However, I do really like one seed bead at the base of each ring!

I also like one seed bead on the chain. The possibilities seem endless!

I wasn't sure I'd like tatting around donuts, but now that I've played with them, I've found that it's much easier that tatting with a button or a glass gem. I may play with different ring sizes next, or I may continue playing with this base pattern. Either way, I think I'm going to have plenty of ornaments for the drama club fund raiser next year!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, great experiments. I wonder if a tap washer could be used in place of a donut. Bit heavy maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Imagine how you could decorate that tap washer! I'm guessing there are all sorts of sizes to choose from. Maybe a trip to the hardware store is in order!

      Delete
  2. Curtain/cabone rings, toothbrush rings, loom bands are all things that can be used. I do have a tip for anchoring the joins to whatever you are using which does stop the tatting moving up or downwards. http://janeeborall.freeservers.com/ButtonJoin.pdf of that's a help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used the curtain rings. I'll certainly re-read your instructions, Jane!

      Delete
  3. Donuts with tatting! Sounds like a good diet to me! Yours are truly pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!