Sunday, January 10, 2021

To join or not to join

I've been wanting to tat 12 rings around a 5/8" button, but I've been avoiding it because I really dislike trying to close small rings. It's hard enough for me to make my fumble fingers close a small ring neatly, but add the challenge of a ring snugged up to a button... yikes!

I really thought that adding joining picots to the sides of a ring, would be too bothersome. So, the button on the left has simple 6 + 6 rings. When I finished, it looked "off" to me.

Enter button #2 on the right. This time I tatted the rings 3 - 3 + 3 - 3. It looks more balanced to me, and I like balance.

Can you tell I'm really enjoying tatting lock chains for hangers? They're still not perfect, but each one seems to get better!

I'm sure this pattern has been presented many times, but I wrote it down for myself and I'm happy to share what I've done with you.

January 10 Button Ornament


Materials:

5/8" four hole button

size 20 thread

shuttle and ball


Symbols:

+ join

- joining picot


For the button on the left:


Round 1:

Ring 6 + 6, reverse work (join to button)

Chain 6, reverse work


Continue around with three joins in each hole, joining final chain to base of first ring.


Cut, tie, and hide ends.


For the button on the right:


Round 1:

Ring 3 - 3 + 3 - 3, reverse work (join to button)

Chain 6, reverse work


*Ring 3 + 3 + 3 - 3, reverse work (join to picot on previous ring and to button)

Chain 6, reverse work**


Repeat from * to ** around, with three joins in each hole, joining final chain to base of 

first ring.


Cut, tie, and hide ends.

5 comments:

  1. Bellissimi e molto originali, complimenti.
    Buona Domenica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the rings could slip without the side joins? The one on the right certainly looks very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, Jane. I was able to move the a little for a quick steam. The rings that were not joined did not stay where I wanted them.

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!