Monday, June 7, 2021

This is it!

 

This is the pattern that sparked my interest in tatting! I was given a cross bookmark as a thank you the summer of 1969. Mom knew that it was tatting, but didn't know how to tat. I remember that we went to the five and dime and purchased a shuttle, some thread, and a Coats & Clark book. For 20 years I periodically referred to the book and tried to figure out what to do. It never made sense.

One day, my friend Denise called and said she had found a video by Mildred Clark that would teach us to tat. Denise lent the video to me, and within 20 minutes I was tatting!

It took me years to identify the pattern as one from Workbasket. I have a copy of that Workbasket magazine somewhere. When I find its safe place, I'll let you know what issue it is.


I figured out that the thread is size 40, and I know that it is hand-dyed. It's a beautiful thread, and I'm glad that I had enough for the cross and a button ornament. This is an ornament I will keep. I had a stack of Dad's shirts that I had cut apart for quilt blocks, and I saved the buttons. I plan on making button ornaments with all the buttons I saved from Dad's shirts. When they're finished, I'll let family members choose ornaments for their trees. I hope they think they're special!

7 comments:

  1. I love hearing how people learnt to tat! I found a pamphlet and shuttle in my mum’s sewing box, couldn’t figure it out, but a friend of my aunt’s showed me the flip and the pamphlet was good for the rest. The cross is certainly inspirational! Gorgeous thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! I am forever grateful that Denise found that video so many years ago. Written directions often confuse me, but once I've seen something done I can usually do a fair job.

      Delete
  2. The cross pattern is from the April 1955 issue of The Workbasket. Love the button ornament idea to use your dad's buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! I have so many boxes of books and patterns that I've collected over the years. I know my copy is tucked away safely. I took a picture of it with my iPad (back when iPads first came on the scene), and I've used that picture as my pattern for many years.

      Delete
  3. Great cross and tatted button ornament!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, actually all in this post is beautiful, the tatting, the thread and the story!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!