Friday, September 30, 2011

Yes-U-Can Doily Challenge - Tatting Progress Day 2


I wasn't going to blog today, because I didn't feel like I made any progress. However, I truly believe there is so much to learn from our mistakes, and I made several last night!

At first, I attempted to tat this next round with bare thread between the rings. I'm not a fan of bare threads in tatting. To me, the tatting looks weak. I tried three different lengths of thread between the rings, and two different stitch counts on the larger ring. I didn't like any of them, so... snip! Snip!

What you see is my last attempt before heading off to bed. I like the look, but I can see that this round isn't going to ease into the curve. It's too straight. After looking at the picture more closely, I think I need to add one more picot and two double stitches to each larger ring. I think the solution to creating better ease might be to add stitches to the chains between the four segments and use longer joining picots between the outer rings.

If you have any ideas that you care to share with me, I'll be glad to try them out... that is, if you can understand my ramblings! I probably won't have a chance to try out my ideas today, but I'll keep you posted on my progress!

8 comments:

  1. It looks to me as if you could do with an extra ring on the chain. Perhaps not on every chain but on every other one. Sounds like my way of designing - hit and miss!!! Works in the end but can be very frustrating getting there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness....I've not started. I'll get on it over the weekend. Wonderful work to this point!!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't offer any ideas but I will say that it looks super thus far! Love your choice of colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start this row as well. I too was thinking about putting chains instead of bare thread, but I think I'm going to try the bare thread just considering it from a Physics point of view. It seems that having bare threads on this row will make the next row less likely to cup. BUT, I'm not very experienced and while I did ace physics and loved force diagrams, I could be thinking about backwards, which happens :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmygolly, Jess' physics approach to designing kind of intimidates me...who always goes with the "fly by the seat of my pants" method. *grins*

    Nope, I have no head for physics, sad to say. But am uber-impressed with Jess and the others who are jumping into this challenge with both feet.

    I want to do it, but have determined to complete my Tat Days class projects before doing anything else. So it may or may not happen this year. It is great to see your progress, LLL Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vas a conseguir un trabajo maravilloso.Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corners to make it a square are probably not what you want, but your work so far is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I haven't gotten past the first two rounds, yours looks fabulous! The blue is very striking too.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!