Monday, November 4, 2019

If at first you don't succeed...


I was very proud of my first attempt at Joelle Paulson's Astrila, until I realized I'd missed a join! I felt I had nothing to worry about. After all, I had successfully joined on the second half of a split ring, and I had managed to make a picot on the second half of a split ring.

Feeling bold, I started over... and over... and over. Three times I tried, and I could not get that join on the second half of the split ring.


I was tired, and too lazy to watch a YouTube video, so I just made the center the old fashioned way (cut, tie, hide the ends, and start round two). That didn't work well, either. On round 2 (there is no round 2 in Joelle's beautiful pattern), I wasn't following the pattern carefully, because I thought I knew what I was doing. I was so wrong. I made a mess of it!


Luckily, my next attempt worked out perfectly!


I liked it so much, I tatted a second. I feel like I'm on a roll!

20 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do the same cut tie just seems simpler that way and this is beautiful! twice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined to master split rings, and this is a good pattern for me to use for practice!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, they are lovely! I struggled with its cousin Calixa but that’s good for me. A little humility is good for me. This is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are doing awesome!!!! Beautiful snowflakes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling! Well worth persisting, the result is lovely and now you have the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perseverance is a sweet fruit 😃 Both are beautiful 💗

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo Diane! If at first you don’t succeed......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done looks beautiful, well worth the effort

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a long, tough climb, but the resulting snowflakes are truly beautiful! And, now you have learned so many skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was only tough because I didn't pay attention. It certainly pays to follow instructions!

      Delete
  9. It's such a pretty pattern and I've been eyeing it on Etsy. Maybe I should get it for motivation to learn split rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helped me practice split rings, without being overwhelming.

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!