Friday, November 15, 2019

Marlene called


My friend Marlene from Minnesota contacted me yesterday to let me know how much she likes my Frivolity Ice Drop. However, she was a bit confused by the back and forth of the one pass method, and she wasn't clear as to when to switch shuttles.

I'm not a big fan of the one pass method. I think it looks nice, but I get confused trying to keep track of where I am, and it takes me longer to finish a one pass Ice Drop than one following my basic pattern.

I wanted to show Marlene that the Frivolity pattern can be tatted using my original basic pattern. Simply tat the basic Ice Drop, and then add the second and third rounds. As for switching shuttles, it's really not necessary until the last round. Even then, it would be easy enough to use the shoelace trick to tat the rings.


Here are the two together. The one on the left follows my basic pattern. The one on the right is the one pass method as the Frivolity pattern is written. As you can see, there's not much difference. The only difference is the extra round of chains surrounding the glass gem, a look I really like.


Because I don't have enough projects going, I decided to join a Marly Bird knit-along. This is The Greyson Waves Lace Scarf that uses three balls of Chic Sheep, which I just happened to have in the house!

Although I'm not a beginning knitter, I do appreciate the YouTube video that accompanies the pattern. It seems that every designer has a slightly different way of notating one stitch or another, and the video tutorial really helps clarify all techniques.

My friend Jennifer is knitting this one along with me. It's fun to keep each other motivated to finish a project!

5 comments:

  1. The Frivolity is truly a beautiful pattern!!!
    Even for the last round, switching shuttles or SLT is not required - chain, lock join, continue to tat 'ring' as a chain, lock join in same picot (the chain now looks like a ring), and complete the chain segment.
    I like the scarf colours & pattern .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! That's what I do with my Doodle Ice Drop. Sometimes others need to point something out in order for the obvious to click with me!

      Delete
  2. I confess I tend to use more than one color thread, so I end up not working in one pass. Call me complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the knit scarf, and the 'Marly' website. I'm amazed how far we have come with the privilege of seeing 'videos' for instructions. It wasn't until the '80s that we started to see 'crafting' programs on TV but knitting segments were far and few between. Now with the internet you just pick a pattern and possibly see a video if the designer is talented enough to create one! I'm particularly amazed and pleased to see how the continental stitch has become more accepted today. She also shows the 'throwing' method as an alternative. It is good to know both 'throwing' and continental, and to use crochet hooks for various purposes in knitting (such as binding off). I tried to convince my knitting group in the '80s to learn continental but they refused! Also, many didn't want to learn to crochet! Likewise, many crocheters don't want to learn to knit! I love the colors you're using; and I don't doubt that you'll have the scarf finished in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!