Monday, November 23, 2020

Quilt central

Daughter Carol's significant other, Jon, has requested t-shirt quilts for his two baseball lovin' sons. I've wanted to try a t-shirt quilt for years, so I agreed to give it a try!

My dining room has turned into quilt central. I'm hoping to have all of the shirts cut apart and backed with fusible interfacing by Thursday so that Carol and Jon can arrange the blocks when they're here for Thanksgiving. 

These won't be traditional quilts. Carol and Jon found some beautiful polar fleece at JoAnn Fabrics on Thursday. I picked it up on Friday, and the polar fleece is ready to go. Yesterday, Mom and I went shopping for muslin and interfacing. I made pretty good progress yesterday afternoon, so I think my goal is achievable!

So, why did Mom need muslin?

Mom finished an Irish Chain quilt top for my brother David's teardrop camper. We took it to a quilt shop for the quilting. It turned out so well, my sister Janet requested one. I have plenty of fabric around, except for muslin. Luckily, Mom loves to go shopping with me! We have everything ready to go for Mom's project.

Yes, we have turned into Quilt Central!

 

12 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love seeing quilts!! :)
    That one is fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Mom's favorite quilt design. I was amazed at how quickly she pieced the top.

      Delete
  2. Goodness! I’ve never heard of a t shirt quilt so I look forward to hearing more. Your mum’s quilt is fabulous, no wonder there was a request for another one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to make a t-shirt quilt for years, but I was nervous about messing up. Now that I've started, I can't believe I waited so long!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Didn't it turn out great? My brother will be picking it up tomorrow. I can't wait for him to see it in person!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt!!! We know where you get all your talent from :-)
    T-shirt quilts hold so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom has definitely been my greatest influence! She has taught me to knit, crochet, sew, quilt, weave, and so much more!

      Delete
  5. I have wanted to do a shirt quilt of my daughters camp shirts, most of which she designed. I don't think I should try it for my very first quilt though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched lots of YouTube videos, and I was very hesitant to get started. It looked time consuming, and I was worried about ruining the shirts. I purchased a steam press last spring. Mom kept telling me how great they are, and I decided to give it a try. The steam press arrived on Thursday, and Mom told me on Sunday that she decided to move in with us. All of my craft supplies were moved upstairs, and the steam press never was used until a couple of days ago. It's wonderful! What would have taken me 10-12 presses with a steam iron took 2-3 presses with the steam press. I followed the suggestion on one of the videos I watched of only pressing for 4 seconds. It worked like a dream, and I didn't ruin one single t-shirt!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!