Sunday, November 1, 2020

Playing

It took me all day to tat this Workbasket cross. I can't believe how many mistakes I made and how much time I spent untatting! I started at 6 this morning, and didn't finish until around 5 p.m. You'd think with that much time put in, I'd have a tassel for it. My tassel making skills are poor, so I need to find a finishing touch that works for me.

This one is in size 20 Lizbeth #671, Christmas Red. It's about 4.5" long and 3.5" wide. I played around with the length of the chains, changing the stitch count on either side of the picots from 5 to 7. I think it looks nice, but I think I'll go back to the original stitch count for my next one. Let's hope the next one doesn't take me all day to tat!

9 comments:

  1. The pattern shows up better in this thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better! I love looking at the balls of multi-colored and variegated threads, but I find that many times I do not like the way they work up. Still, I will keep on trying. I have a lot of thread to tat up!

      Delete
  2. Very elegant, Diane! I think that tassels use too much thread so when I make a bookmark I usually tat a chain of split rings and then add a section of the pattern at the bottom. The four joined rings, surrounded by the chains to make a circle would be perfect!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the tassels use up too much thread. Also, I can never get them to look nice. Split rings... oh, my! I guess I should practice them, but not with size 80 thread!

      Delete
  3. That's exactly what I'd do too, Bev. Either split rings or a spiral chain or something fairly simple. That's a really old pattern that's been floating around for at least forty years, Diane. I made it many years ago!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know my "love" of split rings, Jane! I'm sure I will master them some day. I'll have to find where I've safely stowed my copy of Workbasket that has this pattern. If I recall correctly, it was from 1957 when I was only five years old! Yes, it's been around a while! Sometimes I can tat it with no problem, and other times I make mistakes with almost every ring. That was the case this time. The first time I made it, probably 15-20 years ago, I was tatting from the cross that was given to me in 1968. I was thrilled when I found a copy of the correct Workbasket issue a couple of months later. Counting those size 80 stitches was hard even then. I believe this pattern was the first one I completed in size 80. I remember I tatted it in green and gave it to my dad. He loved it!

      Delete
  4. If you don’t like doing split chains then a lock stitch chain is good too.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to practice the lock stitch as well. I can do it, but I'm not very good!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!