Saturday, October 31, 2020

This is it!

More than 50 years ago, I was given a cross bookmark as a thank you gift. That's when my interest in tatting began. I had never seen tatting before, and I was fascinated! The girl who gave me the bookmark moved shortly after giving it to me, so I was never able to learn to tat from her. It took me 20 years to learn how to tat.

The Internet gave me the ability to search for the pattern, which turned out to be from Workbasket. I was sorting through some files on my computer last night and found the pattern. Naturally, I had to tat it!

The thread is size 40 Lizbeth # 40-9100, Arctic Evening, one of the new Limited Series threads. I like the thread, but I'm not sure I like it for this pattern. I think this cross is prettier in a solid color, or perhaps something with more subtle color variations.


I also tatted "Christina" from Tatted Bookmarks ~ cross-shaped by Lene Bjorn. The color variations seem to work better with this pattern. However, I think I still prefer solid colors fro cross bookmarks.

I haven't worked tassels for these two yet, and I'm not sure I will. I adore tassels, but I find they sometimes get caught and get pulled out of the book, something I find very frustrating!

How do you feel about tassels on bookmarks?

6 comments:

  1. How interesting that a tatted bookmark inspired your love of tatting. I agree, the thread doesn’t enhance the pattern. I’m sure there will be more in other threads! A small tassel perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I give away tatted crosses there is always great pleasure so I am not surprised that is what initially tempted you to start to tat.
    I have a love hate with tassels and also with variegated thread both have their place and not sure I always get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I don't put tassels on my book marks. I like to add a string with a few beads on it. It makes it easier to pull out of my bible.

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!