Friday, November 11, 2016

A different approach

I have been practicing split rings so that I can make a Cubs Spinning Wheel with a split ring center as suggested by Eliz. However, they're just not working for me. I'm determined. I think I just need to get together with my friend Carol and practice her technique, which has worked well for me in the past. Then, I need to practice split rings on a regular basis so that I don't lose what I learn!


Since the split rings aren't working for me, I decided to try using two shuttles wound with red and blue, keeping the red thread inside except for where I need red rings. This approach means that I need to use the shoelace trick after almost every ring and chain. Besides slowing me down a bit, the only problem I can see is little blips of red where I've used the shoelace trick, and I I'm willing to live with that for now!


My Ice Drop tree is almost half full!


I'm hoping to have it filled by Thanksgiving so that I can start sharing these little beauties with friends and family. I think this will be much more fun than Black Friday deals!

7 comments:

  1. Yes I like what your are trying with two shuttles and interesting delicate with the tiny bit of color sometimes I make the thread of the color I want covered tighter and then the looser color and cover the unwanted color up. Hopefully that makes sense. And snow drops are fantastic πŸŒΈπŸ’ŸπŸŒΈ

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two shuttle version looks good. Split rings are useful to know though, so I hope you can get the hang of them. You have scope for lots more ice drops then, that's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your Ice Drop tree!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your idea works out, I am sure you will get a mat with the clubs inside it.
    I am looking forward to seeing the ice drops on your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a real puzzle on how to get a different color to show just where you want it. What you're doing now using the shoelace trick is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a great compromise, Diane. It is looking very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A thought just struck me -- if all blue rings are tatted as mock rings, it might work ? Then entire tatting will be done with red shuttle, and only the red rings will be true rings.
    I like what you are doing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!