Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Plans

I had plans to spend the morning tatting. It is easy to see that tatting has been left behind so that I could focus on my knit-along sweater.


I was able to finish an Ice Drop last night.


I found these cute, inexpensive shuttles on Amazon. They're Clover knockoffs, which I usually avoid because I've found that they're usually a waste of money. I was attracted to the color, and it turns out they're pretty decent. The tips are nice and tight. The biggest difference I noticed, is that the signature grip strips are missing. I was afraid the shuttles might fly out of my fingers, but they work just fine.


I finally finished off the next skein of yarn on Alison's waffle stitch afghan.

I expected to get quite a bit done today, but there's a stomach bug going around and I wound up subbing for two teachers today. One teacher had to stay home with a sick child, and the other teacher went home sick at lunch time. Yikes! Germs, germs, stay away!

6 comments:

  1. Love the pink and afgan stitch sad that the flue is going round again🙁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still very productive!! :)
    That afghan is looking fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, you do well to tat an ice drop as well as knitting and the blanket. Hope you avoid the flu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so lucky to have you as a substitute teacher! The afghan looks fantastic in those colors.

    Interesting review of the shuttles. Not having the grip strips would make them easier to 'decorate'. I don't use post shuttles myself (except for single-shuttle split rings, where they eliminate finger tatting) but I like the pastel colors. Your incredible collection of shuttles makes you an authority and source of knowledge.

    Your sweater will be finished in no time! Very nice, even knitting, which isn't always easy with stockinette!
    Because you will soon be 'sewing' these knitted pieces together, I wanted to mention that you can crochet your seams together (chain stitch) rather than sew them with the 'mattress' stitch. I was delighted to find the following excellent video because decades ago, this technique was rarely mentioned in magazines, and if it was, it was criticized by knitting purists! But the judges at the fairs where I won blue ribbons either didn't notice or didn't care! I used yarn pins to pin the pieces together and just 'chained' away. I rarely had to 'readjust' the seam but if I did, it was so easy to rip out. And I didn't necessarily go into each stich. I spaced them out to allow for the pieces to have a natural elasticity.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjX4NUZpEI


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Kathy! I will definitely check it out!

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!