Monday, April 11, 2022

Imperial finished!

 

I finished Imperial just a few minutes ago! I wasn't sure I would like this pattern because of the open spaces. However, now that it's finished, I think it's one of my favorite doilies to tat. Now it's time to choose another from Bonded with tatting - doilies by Laura Bziukiewicz.

Our big excitement today was the delivery of my reupholstered channel back chair. My Aunt Dodie bought this chair for my grandparents before I was born in 1952. So, it's from the late 40s or early 50s. When my grandmother gave me the chair, it still had its original fabric, which was a beautiful shade of brown with embroidered flowers on it. The chair was too big for Grandma, so it was seldom used. When it arrived at our house, it became the favorite chair, and the old fabric quickly gave way. We had the chair reupholstered about 25 years ago. I loved the fabric, but the seat was sagging, and there was a hole in one of the seams. It was time to bring this chair back to life!

The little footstool was made by one of daughter Alison's classmates and her sister about 30 years ago. The girls had made it as a shop class project, and I love it.

Last summer Mom, Carol, and I took the two pieces to a custom upholstery shop. All three of us fell in love with this fabric, and we placed our order. Unfortunately, it took eight months for the fabric to arrive. I am thrilled with the way the chair turned out. The lighting wasn't good for taking pictures today. The fabric is beautiful shades of blue. I'm guessing that this will be the new favorite place to sit again!

12 comments:

  1. I think the open space underscores the elegant outer curves, a d the colourway seems to work well now that the doily is complete. ๐Ÿงก
    Beautiful fabric and backstory (pun intended ๐Ÿ˜)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your assessment of the doily. Still, I think I will tat it again possibly using threads that are subtly variegated and/or solids to help accentuate the pattern.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing chair! I’m envisioning a bobbin lace pillow stand with a lit oil lamp on the side table working late in the evening. Sorry, just placing myself in that beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a wonderful scene! I gave up my bobbin lace supplies a couple of years ago. I enjoyed learning the basics of bobbin lace, but it just never caught my attention the way tatting has.

      Delete
  3. Imperial is splendid and yes, the thread looks fine now the doily is complete. The fabric was worth waiting for and the upholsterers have done a great job, wonderful that the chair and stool can become favourites again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that having the black background helps with showing off Imperial. I will tat this one again!

      Delete
  4. Lovely tatting - and what a lovely comfy chair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, that chair looks so comfy. Glad you managed to ‘save it’s life’ yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is comfy! I've loved this chair since I was a little girl.

      Delete
  6. I love that doily!! You did an awesome job on it!!! :)
    Wonderful chair!! Will it be a tatting space, or just a comfy space??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! For now, it will just be comfy space. I need my Ott Lite to be able to spend much time tatting, and it works better next to my glider.

      Delete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!